Designing and Painting My Own Chapter

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Designing and Painting My Own Chapter

Postby -MarkoftheElite » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Hello, Everyone! I'm new here and have been tinkering with a few of my old Marines that I had started to paint, but gave up. This was primarily due to the fact that I had a difficult time trying to decide on color schemes and what type of design I should go for.

The ideas I have had over the past two years have been:

Sons of Caesar- A gold and red pattern with a sword and wreath design for the Chapter.

Sons of the Emperor- White armor with gold trimmings. The Symbol of the Golden Throne for the Chapter.

Phoenix Legion- Red armor with Gold Trimmings. I thought about the Chapter symbol and came up with a design of the Pheonix with its wings curved towards the head.

Centurion Chapter- Blue armor with red trimmings. The Chapter symbol becane the head of a Centurion.

Knights of the Emperor- Silver armor with gold trimmings. The chapter symbol was that of a sword on shield.

Odyssee Chapter- Blue armor with gold trimmings. The Chapter symbol was that of a sailing ship's mast.

I am hoping someone would tell me if these are good ideas and how I should proceed to paint them without them looking like something out of a horror show. I'm a pretty fair painter, but lack finess in my painting.
Also, I would like some ideas on how to create these Chapters as well. I am a Space Marine fanatic and would love to get these projects done. Just a little incapable of doing so.

Thank you for assistance.

MarkoftheElite
-MarkoftheElite

Re: Designing and Painting My Own Chapter

Postby Jeramakus » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:22 pm

Hi. The most basic answer is just to pick one and do it. Which scheme appeals to you[/b] most? Run with that and the rest should be easy.

As for developing the army, decide what you want it to do and go from there. You have TONS of choices these days between the primary Codex, the Traits and all the sub-codices. Deciding on this will also help you develop a background for your Chapter if that's something you're into.

Anyway, good luck. Since you're new to the boards, I'm guessing you've never been to the club, correct?
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby elrodogg » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:19 pm

Alright there buddy, here's what you do. Paint up one one marine for each of the proposed chapter marines you mentioned. Then take a look at your test models and decide which color scheme not only do you like the most, but that you think you could paint an army of. Then finish the squad to make sure the color scheme looks good on a number of models near each other and then you're all set.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:54 am

Creating your own chapter has always been a great idea. with the new codex, you've got even more flexibility. Ronen's advice is spot on.

My first space marine army was the Phoenix Legion. I have about 4000 points of this assault-heavy chapter. Here's a picture of the model I entered into the Create Your Own Chapter contest that was held at the US Games Workshop stores.

us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/painting/2005_SM_Chapter_Comp/12.htm

You can't see it very well, but the left shoulder pad design is based on the Fantasy High Elf Phoenix Guard decals. I had to trim them a bit, but they worked pretty well.

I'll try to get some better pictures up of that model and some others in the army.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby -MarkoftheElite » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:36 am

Thank You.....and no, I haven't been to your gaming club. I live in Monroe, Washington, unfortunately.

I have started to work on my projects again, but still haven't decided. The one I am have a conversion for is my Phoenix Legion. I had redesigned the sergeant with a new head and had given him a plasma pistol. I used the banner pole topper from a warhammer knights boxed set that I had purchased at a Swap Meet and the head is one of the bald heads with a wreath on it.. Banner topper is the skull and wreath design. I will try and post some of those pictures here and let you decide. I am a little horrible at deciding color patterns.
The rest of my ideas I had tested out and still not sure of the color I would use. THese I will pics I will post as soon as I can borrow my Brother-In-Laws Digital Camera. Maybe have him send them to me.

Anyway, I appreciate the help and I really need to get the new Space Marines Codex. Ah, well......I will have to save up money to do this.

I do have another question: How should I paint the terminators I have to fit the scheme of the army?

If someone could give ideas about this, it would be most appreciated.
-MarkoftheElite

Postby -Gizzakk » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:38 pm

just remember KISS- keep it simple, stupid (no offense to anyone, its a saying)- the problem with a lot a color schemes i see is that people make them too compl;icated, like oh well i think it would be cool if i had purple bolters and one green leg and a yellow helmet and so on and so forth- your marines end up looking like a clown on steroids (or a harlequin, alternatively) generally, you want to stick to at most three colors- two base and a metalic for details, possibly a fourth silver if thats not one of your others
-Gizzakk

Postby -decado » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:23 am

if you have dawn of war you can use the chapter designer that comes with it this will allow you to get a feel for how the chapter colours will look, and without having to paint the models and will save you time in the end
-decado

Postby -decado » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:21 am

-decado

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:27 am

Awesome! I see hours and hours of productivity wasted! :lol
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Return to Modeling and Painting