Pete, about painting with inks.

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Pete, about painting with inks.

Postby -thx10050 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:11 am

I really liked the way your Greater Daemon and Bloodletters came out with those red and black inks. Could you recommend a similar way of painting my Wraithguard models? I'd like to do them with a blue (main color) and gold (detailing) color scheme. Thanks. :)
-thx10050

Re: Pete, about painting with inks.

Postby deFl0 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:15 am

Well, with the bloode letters and Deamon prince it was easier as they had a lot of recesses for inks to flow into.

My method:

Paint blood red, ink red, then do hard coat / black ink 50/50 mix, over everything. The black seaps to the recesses. Paint the high areas blood red again, then red ink these high areas.

With wraith guard It's a little tougher as you are dealing with large round smooth surfaces.

You can yield god results with painting a a base blue and then a highlight blue with a blue ink top coat. It helps blend the shading and makes the recesses look well defined.

Another cool trick is blue ink over metalics, but it usually takes a couple coats. Also the vper in the back of the Eldar codex with the face on in is done with all inks. They get that great shading with tons of thin layers.

Be careful though using inks over inks though. The new ink actually turns the other ink back into a liquid so if you take too many brush strokes you can actually dig a chunk out of the bottom layer.

Pete
deFl0

Re: Pete, about painting with inks.

Postby elrodogg » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:18 am

I found alot of success with blue inking (over a black primer coat) by drybrushing grey, then drybrushing white over that. Then you hit it with a layer of blue ink. Drybrush another layer of white, then another layer of blue ink. Voila done! Comes out looking really sharp too.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Return to Modeling and Painting