looking for model chain

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

looking for model chain

Postby subversive » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 am

hey folks... working on a conversion and I'm trying to find some heavy guage (in scale) chain, maybe 3-5mm (3mm on the narrow, 5mm on the long, ballpark) links. I'm looking to put a large rock on the end of it and put it in the hands of a shaggoth model, replacing the axe, so it should be in scale to that.

Speaking of, if you happen to be able to see the shaggoth box, the chain around the rock in the lower left corner is what gave me the idea. Actually, come to think of it, I'll just post the image...

Most of the stuff I've found so far is too fine... the chain links look wimpy. I'm looking for something that has the kind of weight a ship's anchor chain or heavy industrial chain would have.

Any suggestions would be muy helpful.

subversive

Re: looking for model chain

Postby Jeramakus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:16 am

www.micromark.com/

You're welcome. :)
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby subversive » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:51 am

That's a damn fine link, sir!

Unfortunately, the only chain they've got is too fine for what I'm trying to do. It's about 20 links/inch. I need more like 8 links/inch.

Any others?
subversive

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:03 am

At 8 links to the inch, you're in the realm of costume jewelry. If you are far enough out in the suburbs, try Michael's. Pearl's craft department may have what you are looking for.

Also, try these links:

www.wigjig.net/store/inde...mid=109512
www.metalliferous.com/metals.html

Here is a guide to local jewelry supply outfits. Most of them are high-end bead distributors, but may be worth a phone call. Your key phrase is "base-metal chain".

www.guidetobeadwork.com/l...Y.cty.html

If you come up dry with any of that, let me know. I've a friend that is a jewelry designer and probably has a good source, but it's too late to call her now.

Duncan
Emperors Reckoning

Postby subversive » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:45 am

Wow. I'll get back to you after I'm done going through that list!

I was actually at Metalliferous today and picked up a couple of other types that I will be using for other projects (Tzeentch siege towers and some Screamer chariots), and didn't see the stuff I'm looking for. Of course, I got there 3 minutes before they closed, so I didn't get to do as thorough a search as I had hoped to...

Many thanks to both of you!
subversive

Postby -LcKedovan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:18 pm

Hey Subversive,

I was at the Hardware store yesterday getting some terrain building supplies and usually there is a section on chains, it is hard to tell from the scale of the pic but I know they had ones that would be really close to that size. I'm in Canada, but I am sure that the format in any large hardware store down there would be similar. (I was at Rona/Lansing, if you have any in the area).

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby subversive » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:49 am

So I ended up getting some good stuff from Metalliferous. It's copper, so now I have to do some tests to see what I can prime it with. Ideally, I'd like to get a rust coating right on there, so I'm thinking possibly Rustoleum... anyone ever use this stuff?
subversive

Postby -LcKedovan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:24 pm

I use this product for weathering:

www.georgestrains.com/pro...RAG-FF-162

That is a Canadian store in Toronto, but I am sure you can find something like that where you are. That is from a model train store. It is basically weathering powder with a dry adhesive. trs cool.

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby -shinjikun1 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:11 pm

Jan's hobby 96th and lex. They have like 50 different sizes for anchor chain and its cheep! You have to ask for it though. They keep it under the counter.:D
-shinjikun1

Return to Modeling and Painting