Black Guard Test Mini

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Black Guard Test Mini

Postby elrodogg » Tue Jul 30, 1974 1:25 am

That pic looks much better. Having seen the rest of hte army, he'll go great. No need to change him IMO.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Black Guard Test Mini

Postby AndyP » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:26 pm

Here's a test mini for my forthcoming Black Guard unit. What do you guys and gals think? Is there enough colour definition between the robes and the armour?

Black Guard Tester

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby -rkl56119 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:07 pm

Looks really good...

I like the color choices you made.

The picture might be a bit out of focus or something but it looks either really grainy or the model had alot of drybrushing. Could be the primer coat...
-rkl56119

Postby AndyP » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:17 pm

It's the drybrushing, I'm not a very skilful painter
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Looks nice Andy. Beautiful color
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby elrodogg » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:43 pm

Metal looks great :eek , the robe does need to be a bit more different. At first glance I didn't even realize it wasn't part of the armor.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:57 pm

Yes... the robes and armor are too similar. Other than that, it look really good! (gotta figure out the shaft of the weapon, too). I'm painting blue-armored minis myself... will post soon. :) I'm having the same sort of trouble figuring out the colors of the robes. They're black at the moment just as a place-holder. And forget drybrushing. Try 3 layers of color. It's a lot easier than you'd think, especially on the excellent dark elf armor. Just make sure that it looks good form "gaming distance".
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mattbird » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:36 pm

looks good apart from the crappy metallic paint- would be better in NMM :)
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby -the black prince » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:49 pm

you know i like the look.

I would agree with nidal that shading up is really not that difficult. Hell - if he can do it?!

Otherwise - dry brushing with a glaze over the top works well. The metal does seem a little dull. Ryan posted way back about brown/purple/green washes looking really good on metal - you could try that on the halberd blades and then wipe it off the blade with your thumb - to make that a little shinier.
-the black prince

Postby AndyP » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:53 am

Oh no, you misunderstand me, the model is shaded.

When I say I drybrush, I mean that I underpaint the mini (black undercoat, then white drybrush, then I paint as normal over the top of that). There was virtually no underpainting on the metal, that is completely shaded. I may try a glaze on the halberd tip though.

On closer inspection of the mini in real life, the contarst between the tunic and the armour is more evident, but still slight.

updated image

It's all a question now of whether I want to deviate from the army colour scheme to make this one unit look better.

Thanks for the comments

Andy P
AndyP

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting