Black Guard Test Mini

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Black Guard Test Mini

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:09 am

Excellent! Is that even the same mini? :lol The only thing I might say is that it's a bit muted overall. The colors are... subtle. Nothing jumps out at you. It's fine in a closeup, but how do 10 of them look from 4 feet away?

Again, I think the paintjob is fantastic.. but it might not excite the guy across the table.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:36 am

still like it!

I like the three shades approach one of the WD guys talks about. You seem to be missing a dark tone here. Hard to tell with the sheen however.

could you make the cloak more green? Dark angels green with just thin highlights of snot green (as if you were highlighting black) and then top highlight of goblin green or some such.

ALso - looks like you've lightened the shades with white. I find this bleaches the colour a bit. Try yellow/bleached bone added to the base colour to lighten it.

After all that - i think the figure looks great. I'm just easy to please...!
-the black prince

Postby mattbird » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:39 am

looks better- but honestly too much metallic. I think metallics work ok for accents and little bits of armor, but when I see an all metallic paint model / unit, It just looks quick and easy to me. maybe the armour is a different color, and the halberd and accents are metallic?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby AndyP » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:49 am

Quote:
It's fine in a closeup, but how do 10 of them look from 4 feet away?

Pretty non-descript - that's why the whole army has a unified colour scheme to draw viewers in (the flashy conversions help do that too). As far as I'm concered, if I'm painting an army then I want the whole force to look as one. I've lost too many painting points in the past by having a hodge-podge army (even if that is the intention).

Justin,

For the green, I go from the underpainted black undercoat to a base of Vallejo Military Green mixing in Light Green to provide 3 or 4 layers of highlights. Glad you still like it though :)

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:53 am

I think it looks great Andy. The God (Matt) has forgotten about us mere mortals not having his Arcane Painting Skilz (tm). Perhaps some of the tips Justin gave will make it a little more striking.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby AndyP » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:54 am

Matt,

I agree with you about the amount of metallic on the mini, but what am I supposed to do? He's wearing armour. I am happy with themetal I have done though.

I have neither the desire, time or skill to do NMM (I'm no Birdoff) so I'm stuck with metallics.

I have tried to use different shades of metal - the main scales, the helmet, shoulderguards and forearm bits (greaves?) are all a very slight metallic green. It's only very subtle however, so maybe only I can see it (as I know that it's there).

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby mauleed » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:56 am

I looks pretty good. If I were to suggest anything it would be to add another highlight to the armor.
mauleed

Postby AndyP » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:04 am

hmmm,

Having just read through my replies it seems like I'm defending myself a bit too much and not being open to the wonderful constructive criticism you are giving me.

Thank you for the feedback, I promise I will try out some of the suggestions for the other guys in the unit, particularly trying to add a bit more 'oomph' to the highlights.

Andy P
AndyP

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:49 am

Quote:
ALso - looks like you've lightened the shades with white. I find this bleaches the colour a bit. Try yellow/bleached bone added to the base colour to lighten it.
I was shading a green this weekend, and Jin (very rightly) suggested that I mix in some yellow to lighten up the base color rather than white. Try then. It creates a stronger, brighter green, rather than a washed-out, faded, pastel green. (if that's what you decide to do)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -company13 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:04 am

I like it. Looks good.
Would score a high score from me from that guy alone for painting scores.
-company13

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting