Modelling Chaos Rhinos and Spawn - Help!

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Modelling Chaos Rhinos and Spawn - Help!

Postby -LcKedovan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:25 am

Hi everyone,

Here is my situation... I would like to model a couple of Rhinos for my 1KSons list. I don't fancy dropping the cash for this army just to get a couple of Rhinos (This is 40K army #5 as it stands so not high in my purchasing list). I have a couple of the old style Rhinos that I am Easy OFF'ing and would want to use these as the base, but make them Tzeentchian. Any ideas what I should do, or how?

In addition, I have made a Tzeentchian Chaos Spawn by sculpting up from an old flamer trunk and using Green Stuff and various bits from horrors and other chaos figures. This turned out not bad for my first ever sculpt/scratch build of something but am trying to think what I could do for a second spawn.. Any ideas here? Advice on scratch sculpting also welcome (for example next time I am DEFINATELY using a wire frame and doing things one stage at a time).

Thanks!

-W.
-LcKedovan

Re: Modelling Chaos Rhinos and Spawn - Help!

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:29 am

Biggest suggestion: NEVER work on army #5. Work on army #1. MAYBE work on #2, if you can't get to #1 for some reason (i.e. all your #1 work is done, and you're waiting for back-ordered bits). Having 5 armies 75% done is worthless. Having 1 army 100% done is fantastic!

To answer your question: Find some tzeentch iconography on the web. Print it out at an appropriate size, and transfer it (by cutting and tracing around your "template") onto some thick plasticard or other durable material. Cut this thick, durable material, and stick it onto your "blank" rhinos. Voila! Instant Tzeentch rhinos.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -LcKedovan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:47 am

hehehe. I know Nidal.. trust me.. I know :o . I am just proud of myself to have gotten it down to only painting 1 Army at a time. :) Secretly, I am sure I have AADD or something, I need a bit of something to mix up the creative juices (like building scenery or something for another army every now and again. This is also mostly for some practice in conversions and sculpting, but at least to some end.

That said, I could do that, but these are the old style smaller Rhinos... is it still cool/ok to use those in armies these days? I would also like to add a bit of variety to them if possible.

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:50 am

They're actually just about exactly the same size as the current rhino. You wouldn't think it, but they are. They're fine to use.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -LcKedovan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:39 pm

really? Well in that case I'll maybe add some extra armour panels, some iconography and maybe even sculpt a few magical flames coming off the Rhino....

hmmm now what about ideas on a second spawn...?

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:51 pm

Use one or two chopped-up old pink or blue horrors, pinned together in a bizzare way and green-stuffed in the joints to look like a single model.
VectorAWX3

Postby -tinfoil3 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:43 pm

The colors are all wrong (you'd probably want to tint things bluish, shading into pinks or yellows), but just to give you an idea of how protean and just plain "Tzeenchy" assemblages of bitz can look:
-tinfoil3

Postby -LcKedovan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:41 pm

Yeah cool. I think I'll be able to do that as soon as I get all my old Chaos minis from my brother's place. I'll take the cutters to a few of the old minis... in fact I could even chop up an old Lord of Change for some bits.

-W.
-LcKedovan

Return to Modeling and Painting