Nidals Paint and Play test models

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Nidal's Paint and Play test models

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:26 am

www.geocities.com/photoman11204/HE1.JPG
www.geocities.com/photoman11204/HE2.JPG
www.geocities.com/photoman11204/he3.JPG

I need to figure out colors for the cloth on the arms and the skirt. I'm thinking a red... but I don't want to make them too "Christmasy". Maybe a white then.. I don't know. I'll mention that Jarrett has repeatedly suggested grey. :|

Shields are going to be a big thing. More about them later after I get a test or two done.

Also, I need a color for the bows and spearshafts. I'm thinking a light color... similar to the base.

Speaking of bases.... Andy, are you going to help me steal your basing method? It's damn perfect! And when people mention my army, I'll say I owe the idea behind the whole thing to YOU!!! :D

So what'chall think?
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Re: Nidal's Paint and Play test models

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:10 pm

How bout cream (bleached bone) for your other cloth color
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:18 pm

I also think a red would work. (but beware Christmas!)

A dark gray is pretty neutral and would work with whatever base color. You'll note the strength of the "temporary" black and green. Gray would be a highlighted version of this. A rich, imperial purple would also produce a nice contrast as per many Empire troop paintjobs (just look at past GD units).

Cream is another decent suggestion, but depends largely on your base color. You mentioned something about sand, so cream on sand is kind of a bland repeat.

Besides that there arent many colors that contrast green well. Brown compliments but thats too woodsy. Orange works but in a gross way. Blue is too cold, though oceanic. It would look like seaweed in water.
-Jarrett

Postby AndyP » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:35 pm

I too think grey might work quite well with that armour colour. I would definately choose something muted, but then I'm just dull.

The one problem with grey, is that if you have large silver metallic parts on future minis, the two colours will look rappy next to each other.

Quote:
Andy, are you going to help me steal your basing method?

Which Andy? Are you referring to Andy Scaramanga or myself?

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby mattbird » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:49 pm

damn, gems are perfect!
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:27 pm

Andy Scarawho???? Who else do I know with awesome beach bases? :p You, sucka!

Thanks Matt! :D I have to thank Jin for the easy yet highly effective gem tips. The weekend painting thing is a GREAT way to share tips AND put your ass in gear.

(I figured it out, by the way... the reason that Elves cost so many points per model is that you have to pay 3 points per model for all the damn gems. Damn vain bastards.)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -LcKedovan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:34 pm

How about a very dark deep red, I think that would look o.k. and not be too christmassy. You would just need to avoid it being to light and bright or Santa might shanghai your test models for the North Pole. Maybe a Dark purple could work as well? Dunno, would need to hold up the colour next to it...

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby mattbird » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:35 pm

Nidal- my gut is to keep half the metal sea green as you have it, do the other half of the armour in pastel purple. Would be a good complimentary color, and a unique paint scheme. Gray would certainly work on the cloth parts.
mattbird

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:43 pm

Will, I thought about a dark red, but so far EVERY mini I've EVER painted has has a significant amount of scab red in it and I promised myself I'd stay away. :lol

Matt, what do you mean half-and-half? You mean as in the chestplate one color vs. the mail-skirt the other color?

I still have the shields and banners to think about (a HUGE area on these figures, which will end up being the focal point, since they'll cover up 75% of the rest of the figure).

The shields were going to be a water/sky scene with a dragon head sticking out of the water (done in a clever and unique way). Maybe a pastel-purple sky (complete with stars, which I've done before, and looked damn cool) combined with a sea-green wavy ocean?

I like the purple idea a lot! Thanks! But I don't want to split up the armor. I'll try it out on the shields and the cloth. oooo... and I could also pattern the cloth up with random stars! Nice!
VectorAWX3

Postby mattbird » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:59 pm

yeah, do the plate armour in one color, the scale mail in another is what I was thinking.Just to break up the color.

The shield idea sounds great- if you can pull it off on 80 shields :) have you ever tried freehand like that before?

(I know I could not do it, but my hands are shaky)
mattbird

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting