Idea help for a SM Commander...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Idea help for a SM Commander...

Postby -Mortifactor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:13 am

Okay, this is my first post here, but I've been a SM player for a while. Figured I wanted to get absolutely stupid with a Commander model, and wanted to see if anyone had any advice.
Right now I've got him with (notably) a thunderhammer, plasma pistol, adamantine mantel, bionics, purity seals, and a combat sheild...for the record he comes in at 200+ points.

For the model himself: I've got Coteaz's hammer, plenty of forge world purity seals. I think (just prepared to order) a FW Grey Knight tank commander for a torso, maybe the helmet as well. I was going to use a DW shoulder pad (figure he has the experience if not the rules (wrong weapon).
I put on order a chaos warrior sprue of a cloak, some helmet wings from a high elf special character. I liked the idea of bulking him up from the White Dwarf... I was thinking that I might be able to use FW terminator shoulder pads for him with some green stuff. Don't know if I want him wearing the helmet (easy) or carrying it somehow (hard). Anyway, any ideas on bitz or modeling to make him truly outstanding?

I was looking at bits and saw I could get some terminator legs (marneus calgar...) but I don't know how they'd fit on the model... I don't want him in terminator armor...
-Mortifactor

Re: Idea help for a SM Commander...

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 am

Well, my only bit of advice is a bit more of a lean towards game mechanics than actual modeling. A Thunder Hammer, or power fist for that matter, does not belong on an IC in power armor. They have too high an Initiative to strike last. You want them striking first to maximize their effect.
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:54 am

I agree with Joe. Remember, the IC can be picked out in hth - if he's strking last, he may be dead. The hammer could just be a power weapon of course- I would not us it as a thunderhammer
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Mortifactor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:31 pm

While this is generally true, and you have a very good point... my biggest problem in 40K games are alway, and I do mean ALWAYS big critters. If I could take a nemesis style weapon, I would (+2 strength). I have a chaplain that tears through just about everything (up to and including demon princes, he's got several DP heads up on his trophy rack...as it were) but when that damn bloodthirster, or carnifex or what have you shows up, he's standing around like a chump with a nerf weapon, unable to hurt them at all. Besides, for the cost (add about 300 or so for his bodyguard...) this guy is mostly for fun. He's just too expensive to play for a guy with no invulnerable save. I went with the Ad. Mantle, because my save rolls are crap, and it only takes one from the big guys...

Anyway, I was hoping for some bit inspiration, and ways to make this a truely outstanding model. I'm not sure if he's going to have a helmet on or not yet. If not, I'm not sure where to stick the helmet (complete with big flashy bits...) since both hands will be full (hammer, obviously, and plasma).

Some of the things I've been looking at head wise: The antenna helmet from the vehicle sprue, the Knight helmet from the command sprue, Chaos khorne champion helmets(cut down the side peices...), the hornless Chaos SM helmets. If bare headed, I have on order the long braid from the Inquisitor model on order.
-Mortifactor

Postby -dijinn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:19 am

Using Marneus Calgar's legs would probably work because if you look carefully at the figure, his legs are wimpy compared to the rest of his upper body! Marneus' proportions when completely built doesn't look off because the cloak helps to disguise that the legs are too small.

So, the legs bitz would probably fit on a powered armor figure perfectly and look in scale. He's got ALOT of clutter on his legs though... so, you would have to clutter up his upper torso to match or else it'll look like he's bottom-heavy from dragging around all those purity seals.

- J.
-dijinn

Postby -Mortifactor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:00 am

That's not much of a problem... the vet squad I've been working on (mostly done now... two models should do), well lets just say the Sarge has 15 purity seals all on his own, and thats just one type of bit. If I ever learn how to post pics properly, I'll show them off... Good call on the legs, I'll give them another look online... that means more shipping and handling damnit...>:
-Mortifactor

Postby -Mortifactor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:46 am

Yeah, gotta add to the post... I was thinking of doing a hammer theme sort of thing for my army, but I obviously don't want a whole bunch of guys using the same hammer over and over. Any good ways to get a bunch of good hammers to use? Otherwise it coteaz all the way for me.
At best I need a half dozen or so (I'll use 'em as powerfists and save:b )

Er... anyone know where I can get the metal templars backpack? It's bigger than normaly by a long shot, but I can't find it online, and going to the store is out of the question. I figured his command squad could all wear them as a unifier for the squad (like my veterans using legion of the damned packs...)
-Mortifactor

Postby -Mortifactor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:51 pm

One thing I was thinking with this model was to make him as big as a terminator but without the armor. Looking at the codex this morning I realized that I would save 25 points on wargear (more TOYS!) by actually putting him in terminator armor... and his invuln. save would then work against shooting.
Problem::: I still like my original concept, making him huge without dipping into terminator territory. Of course, I'm sort of stuck on how to bulk his chest up without trying to sculpt my own...
-Mortifactor

Return to Modeling and Painting