Painting by Others

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Painting by Others

Postby Bauhaus » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:38 pm

My brother-in-law is another one of the graphic artist types and has been painting minis for as long as I've been playing. (I bought him a orc/goblin army just so he'd play with me... lotta good that did! He painted it beautifully and has played me maybe 3 games in the past 4 years!)

The two of us sat around this past weekend painting a couple of my land raiders for my World Eaters army. He's heading out on vacation for a couple of weeks so I gave him my Archaeon model to paint - just to keep him busy.

How do tourneys, GW and Warmongers feel about using figures painted (or partially painted) by others? How do I give him credit for what he's done while playing? Are there any "rules" associated with painting models?

Thanks,
Dave
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Re: Painting by Others

Postby elrodogg » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:48 pm

In a tournament setting, I would give you top marks for sportsmanship for coming out and saying someone else painted it, but would give you a zero in painting. It's not your work, you don't deserve a better mark than that. In terms of general use, use him up! I have no problem with anyone playing with models someone else painted, as long as they aren't taking credit.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:54 pm

Exactly! :)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:56 pm

GW tournaments usually ask you if you painted all or the vast majority of your army. They specifically say if someone else painted a few models, that's not a big deal, but if someone else painted more than that I'd say it's an issue.

Not a huge issue of course, but don't expect to win any GTs with an army you didn't paint all of.

How many models are we talking about here?
-FarseerVinnie

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:20 pm

I personally would not give a zero but I would give a lower mark for painting. And good marks for sportsmanship.

GW tournies allow you to bring another's army. There is no provision for scoring for that. We talked about this after one of our tourny's when someone came with a nice army won best painted and we found he hadn't painted it. Oh makes me mad!!>:
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby subversive » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:00 am

Alas, the qualification is "best painted," not "best painter."

It's an interesting question, and one that bears consideration... is this hobby by nature a lone-wolf thing? Or is it fair to think about the idea of a winning "team?" For instance, could you enter your army (painted by another) for painting consideration and share the credit for the army with the painter? i.e. you take the credit for the army comp and generalship, and the artist gets the credit for the artwork. What about if someone else coached you on how to play a winning army? Do they get credit? Or does it become like a big tv award ceremony: "I'd like to thank the Academy, my painter, my converter, my game coach... and most of all God for giving man the ability to notice that a cube has six sides!"
subversive

Postby Bauhaus » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:50 am

I would probably hope that the person who painted a model, or an army, would get the credit for their work. Even in a GT, I could see someone playing with a army painted by or even purchased painted by another. I'd give them the paint scores based on the models and hope that they were up front about who actually painted the army.

But rules are different. If the rules state that you can only get painting credit for models you paint I wouldn't use models painted by others in the tourney. I just haven't seen such a rule.

If it was a tourney at CS and I was fielding a mortal chaos army and my B-in-law had painted archeon, would I expect:

A) to get painting 0, because I didn't paint all the models.
B) get scores based on the models I painted.
C) get scores based on the whole army.
D) lower paint scores, but higher sports scores.

In just casually thinking about it, I'd probably give C to an opponent if the quality isn't too much different or B if I thought the one model was a standout. I certainly wouldn't knock down the overall score because a model or two had been painted by someone else.

My rationale is largely because I'm trying to keep my B-in-law envolved and interested in the game even though he can't make it by to play much at the club. (I'm not doing it because I think he's a better painter than me for instance.... he will spend a lot more time on one model though... It will make a difference.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:00 am

Frankly, that whole line of reasoning is assinine. :)

Your overall score is YOUR overall score. That's how tournies are scored. Getting 80/80 + 4 bonus points for having Birdoff paint my army is completely wrong, since it's MY name that would be listed in the winner's column. This is an individual tourney. Everything is scored per individual, per army. If you didn't paint the models, you get a zero.

You can't compare that to "best general" since to win that, you have to think on the fly and apply your knowledge of the game and tactics to random dice and a random army across from you.

If you want to play a "team" tournament, then you'd need 6 guys on each side figuring huddling over which charge to declare and which spell to cast.

?!?!?!?! Really.. I don't even know how to respond to your statement. I seriously hope you're playing Devil's advocate.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 am

I don't recall seeign a checkbox for "painted by the player".

Lowering someone's score because they didn't paint the army in any recent GT would be, for lack of a better term, lying. And I can't recall any tournament, particularly GTs, that said you'd lose points if you didn't paint it yourself (barring one incident where a person's score was lowered AFTER the tournament to ensure he didn't win, but that was for sportsmanship issues).

As long as you're honest about it, who cares. These are toys. If you want to play with prettier toys, have at it.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:02 am

Dave, I would give you scores based on what YOU painted. I would ignore Archaeon. (this may well drop your score if you have no other centerpieces) I would also appreciate that you were honest and upfront about who painted what.

Edit: Ed, GW GT's ALWAYS had the "I painted my army" box.
VectorAWX3

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting