Painting by Others

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Painting by Others

Postby Bauhaus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:26 am

If that's the case, it doesn't matter whether or not you give a zero.

As stated earlier, you're only up for Best General (and battle scores.)

This doesn't present a problem to me. I'd tell people up front that this figure is painted by so-and-so, this by you-know-who, etc.

By the way, I think everyone should try and be as fair as possible in scoring. That probably means to follow the "direction" of the tournament directors and organizers as best as you can. I wouldn't agree that Ed should just give top scores for sportsmanship or Nidal should give zeros for painting (it's the TD's job to deal with who painted what.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:34 am

If your painting score is worth nothing, according to the organizers, then why should I give a score above a zero? I'm just helping the organizers "not forget". :)

Also, if you know that your score is worth nothing in the overall or painted or army scheme of things, what do you care if I give you a zero?

Dave, in your case, I would grade your army without considering the figure your bro-in-law painted. Simple as that.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby elrodogg » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:56 am

In the end, I don't think I can come to a complete and all encompassing sentiment on the issue. It depends on the tournie, how large a percentage of an army someone else painted, and also how much time and effort they spent on the rest of the army.

For example, if someone painstakingly painted an army to the best of their ability and it didn't look that great (not everyone is a good painter afterall), but they go out and get a single painted model for a centerpiece, then I likely wouldn't grade so harsh as a zero.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby subversive » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 am

If you're running a tournie, make sure you're clear on the criteria.

If you're playing in a tournie, make sure you know the rules and abide by them. Failing to do so is bad sportsmanship.

And with Ed, it's simple: every game he plays is better than the last, so everyone deserves top marks! Except those cheatin' bastards.
subversive

Postby Bauhaus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:53 pm

I really appreciate all your comments. I feel better about letting my brother-in-law participate. Hopefully, he'll start playing with us one of these days.

I did re-paint some of the stuff he's already worked on for me to try and avoid some problems although I did leave the Mark of Khorne he painted on one of my Land Raiders!
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Previous

Return to Modeling and Painting