Painting by Others

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Painting by Others

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:12 pm

Well, at a GT, I think that's very, very shady. The rules don't care about who painted what, so you're effectively making up your own rules on how painting should be graded.

But you've said you'd be up front about it, so I suppose shady isn't the right way to describe it.

I just don't like the idea of subjective scoring criteria being re-defined at the whims of the contestants.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Well, my reasoning is that if I'm scoring Ed on his orc army, and Bob painted it, then I'll give Ed zero (or two) and go find Bob to ask him painting tips.

If the army across the table from me is better than mine, am I supposed to give the guy higher painting points that he gave me? I'm not scoring his army.. I'm scoring HIM!!!!! HE gets the points!!!! Screw that.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:20 pm

I get your logic.

Unfortunately, your logic also includes an "ignore whatever the scorecard says because..." clause.

The scorecard doesn't ask who painted it. And in the appearance section it doesn't ask you to score Ed or Bob, it asks you to score the army.

If the scorecard EXPLICITELY said "score the army, we don't care who painted it" how would you score it?
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:25 pm

If it did, I'd score the army, but I'd be bitter and pull no punches in scoring (i.e. I wouldn't give pretty-good Joe the top mark as I do now). Then I'd complain to the judges, and if anyone won anything with a bought or borrowed army, I'd publicly ridicule them.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:50 pm

As riveting as this conversation is, this issue is settled, at GTs anyway. When you register, they ask you if you painted your army. If you say "no", the scorers adjust that score.

Do they make mistakes? Of course. Do some people lie? Of course. It's a sad place, our Fallen world.

Just do the same thing in your own tournaments, should you care.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:54 pm

Duncan, nobody is sure what happens at GT's. They ask you, and note it. Do they actually adjust your score numerically (by capping what you can earn in painting)? Do they leave your score as what it is and simply not give you an overall or a painting or an army award? Do they ignore the entire thing, or use it as some statistical study? None of us quite know.
VectorAWX3

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:59 pm

Ed, you are such a literalist.

Raul, I totally agree with you.

And I don't think bubble Eldar guy should have been able to leave his army out for best painted with out a sign on it "I didn't paint this" at teh GT
I voted for it there and had I known I'd have drooled but then moved on to vote for an army painted by the actual player. And He did know that the GT standard at least is you paint your own or you say so
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm

What's wrong with being a literalist?

And I'm not anyway. Just look at how I ignore sports scoring and simply give everyone that doesn't cheat a perfect.

And don't forget, I agree with you, if you're going to have painting scores, you shouldn't be able to get a good one if a significant portion of your army wasn't painted by you. I just think that's the sort of thing that needs to be decided and communicated before the fact, not after.
mauleed

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:21 pm

How does that reconcile with your literalist stance on painting scoring wording?
Emperors Reckoning

Postby mauleed » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:26 pm

Duncan, I make a choice to ignore the sports score criteria, and I'm aware and public that I do it. And I'm perfectly willing to take any heat generated from it.

But in the end, it only helps most of my opponents, not hurt them.

Because the opposite is too ugly to consider. Following the criteria and giving Jim Kelleher a zero in sports because he insists my lascannon guy doesn't have a bolter (recockulous!) is not something I'd want to have to defend later.
mauleed

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting