Using wire in conversions

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Using wire in conversions

Postby -Thrax » Tue May 10, 2005 1:07 am

I've heard that guitar wire is good for this (ie, running power wires or conduits from weapons, backpacks, etc.). Anyone have any suggestions/experience in this area?

T.
-Thrax

Re: Using wire in conversions

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:30 am

Buy a cheap pack of strings from SamAsh or Guitar Center. They'll run you about 5 bucks, and you'll get 6 different gauges. Get a cheap pair of wireclippers and you'll have all the guitar-string you'll EVER need.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby warmongerclub » Tue May 10, 2005 2:21 am

I think all you really want is the top (thicker) strings though (the E and A and maybe the D). You can also look at bass guitar strings for things like power cables on vehivles. The "E" on a bass is super thick and all bass strings have those striations which make them look like power cables.

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby -dijinn » Tue May 10, 2005 5:13 am

You need to get the "wound" strings used on bass guitars. I don't remember the correct size off the top of my head but there are strings that are way too big. Nidal's right, buy the assorted pack but look at the sizes of the strings in the pack to make sure they are the correct scale.

The first time I went into Guitar Center and was looking around for guitar strings to use as power lines, the guy who was helping me kept asking what I was trying to use the strings on. He gave me a crazy look when I told him that I was planning to use it to accessorize 28mm figures.

- J.
-dijinn

Postby -Jarrett » Sat May 14, 2005 8:08 am

And then Jinn punched him in the frickin' face as he's want to do >:
-Jarrett

Postby -LcKedovan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:32 am

One additional "safety" comment on using wire... Be careful! I have had the misfortune to have been using some wire to represent a piece of barbed wire on a sandbag emplacement and when I reached into my bits box to take the wire out the end of it went straight through my finger! entry on one side, exit on the other. : . You wouldn't think it but damn.... after the shock wore off and I pulled it out it hurt like heck!. A little caution goes a long way. that said, being a geek, it gave me new respect for warpspiders :P

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby subversive » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:27 am

yea, as anyone who plays guitar can tell you, snapping guitar strings are dangerous!

For most stuff, I'd recommend the E and A guitar strings and D and G bass strings. E and A bass strings are huge. They'd be good for big stuff like tanks and scenery. The D, G, B and high E guitar strings are on the small side.
subversive

Postby Flavius Infernus » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:25 am

I'm with Jinn on the difficulty of actually buying guitar strings (when you don't play guitar). The guys always seem to want to know what you want them for, and they get really nosy. I finally settled for telling them it was for an "art project."
Flavius Infernus

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:12 am

"It's for a client."
Emperors Reckoning

Return to Modeling and Painting