Basing models..some questions

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Basing models..some questions

Postby -Bryce » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:19 am

In the past I've never really been happy with how bases for my models turn out. I'm gearing up to base my lizardman army right now and i was hoping to get some advice on how others have been successful in basing their armies -- most specifically in the process and materials used.

My main problems with how I've based my models in the past is that whatever crud I use ends up falling off wholesale as I play with the minis pretty much no matter what I do.

The most success I;ve had is with relatively coarse gravel bought at a fish-store, with watered down elmers glue used to attach the rocks to the base, followed by a coat of elmers glue right over the top of the rocks. Then I'd spraypaint/paint em however and they'd hold pretty well.

Unfortunatly with more "grassy" materials I've had little luck. I've tried a variety of the modeling grasses sold at pearl paint to little success.

Any advice from this experienced community would be greatly appreciated :)

Bryce
-Bryce

Re: Basing models..some questions

Postby slann » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:02 pm

i say when buying things to base with i go to a model train store , they have just about anything you need from the stuff to make the water look , to snow and gravel also at half the price.

elmers glue is good to hold onto rocks and larger flocks and a coat of primer does help to seal them on.with grass i feel crazy glue works best.
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby subversive » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Half the price or less. Our game store just got in GW snow at $8 for about half a margerine tub full. That's about a 100,000% markup.

For my run of the mill stuff, I'm a big fan of the same method you described: elmers, rocks, watered down elmers to seal. Sometimes I'll do two coats if my first coat doesn't seem solid enough. Depending on how I coat my models, I may add a layer of matte medium.

I remember someone using elmers model glue (stinky toxic stuff, not the nice friendly PVA) for clumps of static grass. I don't think that stuff lets of anything. It's a gel, so you can put down a blob, stick a couple of long grass pieces (a la swamp grass... perfect for lizards) and it will dry forming a nice base for the grass. Might be worth a try. Hope that helps!
subversive

Postby slann » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:19 am

the train shops carry alot of brands of flock and stuff like that for about 6 dollers a tub and the tub is like a 1 liter bottle filled to the brim.

also they sell rock molds that you can cast your own bolders cliff like faces and small rocks out of plaster, much lighter and you can cut them up for some cool effects.

and they sell really nice tree packs of 4 really nice maple like trees 6-7 dollers for the pack or packs of pine trees that come like 6 to a box.they also have a bag of 20 tree trunks and a bag of thick flock to make your own trees for about $10.
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Return to Modeling and Painting