stripping paint

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

stripping paint

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:59 am

I know this has been covered before, but we lost our archive of threads, so it's not around anymore-

what's the best way to strip paint from metal minis?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: stripping paint

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:08 am

EZ-off oven cleaner. Let them soak at least 24 hours (COVERED, like in one of those glad disposable tupperwear containers!!!!) then scrub them a bit with an old toothbrush to get the last loose bits that are stuck in the cracks. Good as new.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:15 am

I like to use Pine Sol for metals. Smells better, I think, and faster. I soak 'em for 6-8 hours, or more, depending on how much (or how old) paint is. Then scrub with an old toothbrush.

For plastics, Simple Green rocks! Plastics never come close to melting. People have left random stuff in Simple Green for months. :D I think 1 or 2 days of soaking will do it
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -dijinn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:42 am

EZ-Off Oven Cleaner... strips ANYTHING and is nice and safe on plastics and even resins. I've tried it all and although Simple Green is a nice environmentally safe way of stripping paint off metal figures, it doesn't quite do the job on plastics that I would like it too.

EZ-Off Oven Cleaner is the only thing I've found that can strip Heroclix figures and those 3-up Polystone-Resin pre-painted Space Marine Figures that Warpe Artefacts sold.

The Heroclix figures are painted in Chinese sweatshops and they use this really nasty paint that adheres really damn well but causes cancer and is illegal in every country around the world BUT China. Prior to EZ-Off Oven Cleaner... NOTHING I could find stripped the paint off Heroclix figures. Now, I only use EZ-Off to strip paint.

Find a nice sealable tupperware container... spray a bed of EZ-Off into the container and let it foam up abit. Then lay the figures on top of it and spray some more until everything is covered in foam. Seal the lid on and wait a few hours. Grab some rubber gloves (VERY IMPORTANT TO USE GLOVES) and an old toothbrush and watch the paint just flake off with minimal scrubbing.

- J.
-dijinn

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:52 am

I've always used simple green and a toothbrush. soak overnight and then scrub off paint.

note: do not use the toothbrush for brushing one's teeth afterwards.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:19 am

thanks, guys.
mattbird

Postby warmongerclub » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Matt-
Do not use oven cleaner around the baby. The fumes are highly toxic.

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:55 pm

I had actually already ruled that out. Pine Sol sounds better
mattbird

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:56 am

Will the ez-off dissolve the glue as well? (on plastic figs)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -dijinn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:04 am

EZ-Off will unbond super glue (cryoanolate based glues) if left in it long enough. It won't do anything to plastic cements (styrene glues).

With super glue, it won't dissolve the glue, just unbond it. But usually you can poke at it with an exacto knife and the super glue will pop off or worse case scenario, you can sand it down.

- J.
-dijinn

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting