Djinn- daemon hunters on lava bases?

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Djinn- daemon hunters on lava bases?

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:51 pm

I recall you were doing this at some point, but that you stopped the project. Seeing the lava-based Belakor had me considering it again. What was the story with yours?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Djinn- daemon hunters on lava bases?

Postby -dijinn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:42 pm

I simply stopped doing it because I was basing my figures on the metal Grey Knight Terminators which were a MAJOR pain to convert. Then I saw the pix of the plastic terminators before they were officially released and I decided to put it on hold until the plastic versions became available. Figured they would be much easier to convert.

When the plastics finally did come out, it's just been a matter of time now. Work and other projects have been getting in the way of miniatures and everything sort of went on the back-burner.

So, I haven't completely given up on it yet but it's not high on the priority list either.

- J.
-dijinn

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:33 pm

gotcha. Did you ever do a test shot at the painting technique? I'm torn between doing the daemonhunter version, a khorne daemon legion, and a dragon ogre / firenewt version.

but then again, without any major tourney coverage anymore, I'm also questioning the point of doing an army that would look that good in the first place...
mattbird

Postby -dijinn » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:39 am

I never really did comprehensive testing on the lava/fire base. I think the best example is from the Canadian Golden Demons Last Year - Huton's Slayer Sword winning piece. The source lighting from the lava on that is pretty damn good and makes an awesome study piece.

- J.
-dijinn

Postby mattbird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:48 am

yeah, but the lighting isn't on the figure for that one. The BeLakor is more what I had in mind.
mattbird

Postby -dijinn » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:18 am

If you want sourcelighting examples that spreads onto the main figure, the best one is probably Victoria Lamb's Imperial Guardsman w/ the Tyrannid coming up around back behind him. I believe it's on the inside back cover of the new Tyrannid Codex.

Last year, Victoria Lamb stayed over at my apartment and she brought several figures with her... one of them being this very one. I took several HUGE pix of it if you're interested in seeing them Matt.

- J.
-dijinn

Postby mattbird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:22 am

definitely, and thanks-

matt@sjiassociates.com

I think I'm leaning toward doing the Khorne Legion version. It clocks in at just 35-40 models, and makes the most sense for the basing scheme....
mattbird

Return to Modeling and Painting