Model modification question

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Model 'modification' question

Postby -thx10050 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:41 am

Hey, guys. I have a 10 man bolt pistol/CCW squad, fully painted and based, that I used to use as a Black Templar Tac squad. However, now I play Dark Angels and I'm looking for a way to make the squad a WYSIWYG Assault Squad with jump packs without stripping the models, ripping off their backpacks, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot. :)
-thx10050

Re: Model 'modification' question

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:07 am

Original colors of the Dark Angels was black. So they are old-fashioned. Use 'em.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby -thx10050 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:45 am

The problem is, Duncan, that the squad doesn't have jump packs currently and I don't really want to yank off their backpacks to replace them. Plus they aren't painted BT colors and they're also sealed with glossy varnish.
-thx10050

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:51 am

Ah, I see. Well, I have no problem with painted proxies, as long as there is limited risk of confusing them with other models on the table.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby -thx10050 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:02 am

Yeah, so far, they're my only source of 'Assault Marines', so it's very difficult to confuse them with anything else, save a Command squad, which I never really take anymore. I actually posted up a thread about proxy models in the Vogen Campaign section, as it'd be great if these guys could be proxied as Assault Marines until I can get some actual AMs bought and painted.
-thx10050

Postby -Thrax » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:41 pm

FYI, you can actually field Assault Marines without jump packs...you just have to reduce the cost accordingly as it says in the codex. I'm surprised that more people don't do it. The only problem is, that I can see with them, is that you can't take transport options...

T.
-Thrax

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:40 am

No one is gonna call you on the proxy, as long as you let your opponent know they have jump packs. We're good like that. :D Just like we're good with allowing our opponents to take a shot they forgot to make in the shooting phase. ;) ;) ;)
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -thx10050 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Thrax, I know I can use Assault Marines without JPs, but that's my problem (as you pointed out) as their only transport is an LR or LRC. I have an LR, but I don't like using it because of the point cost. Plus, in Escalation, they're stuck on foot anyways. I figure the best way I can use walking Assault Marines is as a truly dedicated counter-assault unit. But then they eat up a FA slot I could use for more Ravenwing Landspeeders...

Lou, yeah, you guys seem pretty good about proxies, it's just I don't like taking proxies unless I really have no other choice (like drop pods). I'm working on some Assault Marines with JPs right now, but it's slow going, as I just basically finished some of my gold Marines and now I'm also trying to start painting my Deathwing Terminators. I think I might clip off the nozzels of the backpacks and see if there any bits I can use to replace them that are bigger, so they look like JPs.

Got any suggestions? :)
-thx10050

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:45 pm

IF you're doing this for a game or two.. fine.. work it out with your opponent, but this it is certainly not a long-term solution. GW sells plastic backpacks considerable larger than the regular backpacks. Hollow them out in a way that you can "snap" them onto the existing backpaks, then paint them. Voila. You have convertible troops.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -thx10050 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:06 pm

Nidal, do you have a link to those backpacks? Are they bits? Thanks for the suggestion. :)
-thx10050

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting