Broodlord conversion

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Broodlord conversion

Postby -Lynxswift » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:25 pm

Ok, I've decided that I do not want to buy the expensive $20 Broodlord model and want to convert one of my own. I figure I can take a Battle for Macragge genestealer, some Tyranid warrior scything talons, large rending claws, some extended carapace pieces to bulk him up and a larger base, and make a pretty good Broodlord conversion for about $4-5 in parts that I already had lying around :p . The official $20 model doesn't even look that much bigger. He is just standing upright that makes him look imposing. Mine will have bigger arms. Here are some pics of what I am thinking. I temporarily "blu-tacked" the pieces.

Now, as you can see, he is not that much bigger from a regular genestealer. But, I think with a higher standard paintjob, he would stand out from the crowd. I also may change the head with a spare head I have from the original Hive Tyrant model. The only problem is the head is metal and could unbalance him. Also, it is somewhat larger and might make him look goofy.

So, what does everyone think? Look good? Ridiculous? or just does not look much different than a normal genestealer? Would you be appalled if I fielded it cause it is not the official model? Any suggestions to make him look better? I'm not that experienced at converting. So, would rather not do much complicated cutting or reposing : .
-Lynxswift

Re: Broodlord conversion

Postby Amazonwarlord » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:19 am

I'm sorry, I don't know what broodlord model you're talking about. Can you clarify?

But I thiink that looks significantly juiced up enough to mke the difference clear. Just make sure your base is the right size (or bigger)
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby savaughn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:39 am

The model for the new Broodlord for the Tyranids list hasn't come out yet. It kind of looks like a more humanoid standing up straight with it's arms spread out. I'm not a fan of the model, myself.

Personally, I'm using a heavily pieced together model. It's the hips of the 3rd ed. carnifex, the torso of the 3rd ed. hive tyrant, and the arms, legs, and head of the Inquisitor Genestealer. I really love the way it looks.
savaughn

Postby Amazonwarlord » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:39 am

I looked only at the store since a price was mentioned...thought it might be in the advanced orders stuff
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:38 am

Sav, you wanna post a pic? I'm curious.

Lynxswift, good idea but personally I think it would look better, and stand out more if you cut the back leg so that it'll stand on both. Plus cut it at the waist to make it stand more upright. Bigger arms and slightly bulkier doesn't do it enough justice. This is the Big Daddy Stealer. He needs to look more boss than the rest
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby elrodogg » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:48 am

While I appreciate you wanting to save some money, I don't think it works, he doesn't seem that much bigger than a standard genestealer. How about using a tryanid warrior and making him more genestealerish.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:49 am

Having seen the broodlord in the Codex I agree with Lou that you should make him look more bipedal. I differ in how I'd do it though.

I would cut the leg he is now standing on at the hip. The other leg, cut at the ankle and reposition the foot so that is the one his weight is on. The reposition the head and anything else needed to make it look natural.

Without the model in front of me I'm not sure about all this but I think it will make him a lot taller and LOOK more like the official model in feel.

But the time this would all take you may as well walk the highway, collect deposit containers and turn em in at your local beverage distributor and buy the official model. :lol
Amazonwarlord

Postby savaughn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:21 pm

>>Sav, you wanna post a pic? I'm curious.

My digital camera seems to have wandered off again. Let me see if I can borrow one. I'll try and slap a pic up this weekend.
savaughn

Postby -Lynxswift » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:33 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback on my conversion. Yeah, I'll proabably just use this as a temporary solution. I agree he is not bulky enough to stand out. Maybe I'll scrounge a few more extended carapace plates. I kinda don't like the upright look on the regular model. So, I probably will not do that on mine. Besides the fact that I have no experience in cutting and reposing limbs or using greenstuff :b . Hehehhehe it's ok though, just wanted to try and make one for kicks. The idea of using a Tyranid Warrior is a good one, though. May have to try that at some point. :D

I'd also like to see pics of other peoples conversions. :)
-Lynxswift

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:53 am

I like this conversion. With a larger head swap and standout color scheme I think it'll work just fine. The extra armor plates from the nid sprues, specifically the spine-like ones, placed along the ridgeline his back should make him look significantly larger
-Jarrett

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting