Questions about Dremel Tools

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Questions about Dremel Tools

Postby -dumbuket » Sun May 08, 2005 3:53 am

I figure I ought to pick one up. I'm liking the Dremel 400 Series XPR I saw while I was browsing through home depot (carrying building materials for mommy on mother's day, of course).

Anyone have any experience with it? It comes with the uber-useful "Flex shaft" attachment, which would save me some cash. I'll also be picking up a vise and some quality safety goggles and a rebreather. The latter is especially important, since I'm going to be sanding some epicast-era resin... that should protect me from nasty carcinogens, right?

What other attachments would you pro-converters recommend? My conversion plans include the extensive remodeling of a metal carnifex (i.e. cutting the body in half), so I figure I might also get some use out of the XPR Multisaw. Any opinions on that one? I'm also going to be converting some Grey Knights and Grey Knight Terminators to chaos chosen, so I figure I could use engraving bits. Any specific ones you'd recommend?

I don't mind spending a hundred or two, since I'll be getting a lot of use out of the thing, both for modeling and the occasional odd job when I'm home from school... (helping mom and pop around their respective houses, etc). Plus, if I get really good with the thing, I could always put a few choice conversions on ebay...
-dumbuket

Re: Questions about Dremel Tools

Postby -dumbuket » Sun May 08, 2005 3:57 am

Oh, and do I need to get one of those full-face 100 dollar respirator deals? If not, any recommendations? I somehow doubt that a regular 5 dollar face-mask is going to cut it... or will it?
-dumbuket

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun May 08, 2005 4:42 am

A regular 2-filter mouth and nose mask will do the trick just fine. 3M makes a couple of good ones. That and a pair of laboratory-style safety glasses are really all of that you need.

Some argue that a paper filter mask will be fine, but I've always preferred to err on the side of caution.

I may have a respirator that is not in use. I will check.

Duncan
Emperors Reckoning

Postby -John Bianchi » Mon May 09, 2005 1:52 am

I love my XPR -

I don't use it that often, but when I do, its obvious that the project I'm working on couldnt' be done without it.
-John Bianchi

Return to Modeling and Painting