Pinning: How-to-do

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Pinning: How-to-do

Postby -Thrax » Thu May 26, 2005 12:37 am

Any suggestions or techniques? Can it work well with plastics? I can hack it on metal, but I have just as many problems with my plastics poses...

T.
-Thrax

Re: Pinning: How-to-do

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:47 am

You're probably just using the wrong glue. Proper plastic glue literally MELTS the two pieces into a single piece. Regular crazy-glue (or other metal glue) doesn't do this.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Thu May 26, 2005 2:14 am

No, it's definitely the right glue...but I occasionally get some "droop" after I set the position. It could be the particular conversions I'm doing -- they're particularly top-heavy.

T.
-Thrax

Postby savaughn » Thu May 26, 2005 4:28 am

Plastic to plastic? I'm currently using Model Master's Liquid Cement which is a Xylene based polystyrene cement (testor's is similar). It does the "melt the two pieces together" thing and after it's set (about a day, although it will hold shape after 30s) it will never move again and if you force it, it will break somewhere other than the join.

If you're talking plastic to metal, then pinning, for sure.
savaughn

Postby The Gunslinger » Thu May 26, 2005 9:21 pm

I've pinned plastic to plastic with no problems.

Regarding your glue, maybe you're using too much
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby Flavius Infernus » Fri May 27, 2005 5:06 am

I sometimes pin plastics when they are small, delicate pieces that I want to hold up against breakage. Or when I know there's going to be a lot of stress on the piece, like a sword blade or torso that's going to get grabbed a lot when I pick up the model.

You gotta use a hand-turned pin vise--even a cordless screwdriver one spins fast enough to soften or melt the plastic.

Ordinarily I also use the Testor's plastic-melting glue and have no problems. But when I pin plastic pieces, I use zap-a-gap. Instead of bonding plastic to plastic, the zap-a-gap holds the pin in place, and the pin holds the pieces together, which is kind of the point of pinning I think.

Whichever glue you use, pinning the plastic will keep them from drooping during curing.
Flavius Infernus

Return to Modeling and Painting