Painting white over black

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Painting white over black

Postby -AngryGangsta » Mon May 09, 2005 8:27 pm

Hey guys.

Im painting some Dark Eldar troops and i want to go with a white colour scheme but have a black undercoat already on.

i want to have a nice crisp clear white so im not sure which basecoat to apply.

Any feedback on this subject would be great.

-AngryGangsta

Re: Painting white over black

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon May 09, 2005 8:31 pm

The best way to get white... whiet undercoat! Gray at DARKEST!!!! To shade white, you'll need to have a "tint" to your shadows (grey with a tint). If you look at your GW greys, they're generally "blue". Personally, I love painting white. It takes a bit of practice, though. And for God's sake, don't drybrush white onto an armored figure! It looks like a mess!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 pm

Yeah, big mistake priming black. Either buy Simple Green from KMart or Home Deput, or whatever big store type might carry it. Soak them for what? a day? Quickly rinse off each mini under running water with an old toothbrush, and done. You can keep plastic minis in Simple Green forever and they'll never melt.

Or if you don't want to strip them, I'd start with a few light coats of light gray, then a few coats of white. But leave the brightest whites for where the armor will "reflect"
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -poffypoffa » Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm

You don't have to strip it. Just do a grey basecoat first, then a couple of white coats. Should be fine
-poffypoffa

Postby -company13 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:30 am

If Simple Green doesnt work which Ive had very, very limited success with for what ever reason. The Mac Daddy of paint remover from figures is Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Ive even tried brake fluid with so-so success, really messy though brake fluid, I dont recommend it. Do how ever like the over cleaner. Get a big ziploc back, in go figures spray a nice generous coating in the bag, seal up and in a few hours at most you have fig's ready to meet mr. primer again.
-company13

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue May 10, 2005 8:25 pm

just curious, how long did you soak your minis in Simple Green? I think I left mine in 2 days. The paint was on the minis for like 8 years so I had to do some scrubbing for the crevices. Other newer minis were fine
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -company13 » Wed May 11, 2005 4:44 am

I left them too in the tank of Simple Green for the longest 4 days. Im not saying it didnt work, its just that Ive had better satasfaction with Oven Cleaner. Less rubbing off with the old paint brush and all that.
-company13

Postby -diel ka than » Thu May 12, 2005 8:25 pm

When black (or any other dark color) is on my model for whatever reason - I build white from brown

I'll first lay a coat of beastial brown (which covers anything)

Then I'll give 1-2 coats of bleached bone, depending pon how thick I lay it on, and how lazy I'm being.

From there, getting white is pretty easy, and It comes out fairly clean.

I did this on all my warmachine mentoh jacks - since I used a bolt gun metal spray primer.

Hope that helps
Raul
-diel ka than

Postby -AngryGangsta » Fri May 13, 2005 4:28 pm

Thanks everybody for your help!!!!:D
-AngryGangsta

Postby -Jarrett » Sat May 14, 2005 8:06 am

I think grey then white layers would be the way to go. The black might actually prove beneficial for lining purposes so long as you apply the white cleanly.

- Brown does not scream Eldar. Any Eldar. At all.
-Jarrett

Return to Modeling and Painting