What does this model need?

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

What does this model need?

Postby Ancow » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:05 pm

So I'm working on my TzeentchZilla list (2 lords of change 3 demon princes) and am working on the last two models. The first of which is a nightbringer conversion using the chaos spawn bird-skull and great eagle wings that looks awesome so far. The second is the carnosaur with lord of change wings that I totally thought of before Jarrett did. The problem I'm having is armament.
Here is the nightbringer:

So far so good I think. drilled out the nightbringer face, replaced with bird face, extended the hood, attached wings where the arms would go. Awesome. Problem is now that I feel like it's missing something, and I think the nightbringer body is a hurdle. Its an extremely narrow spindly body meaning I'm having trouble finding appropriate arms or anything even to attach to it in lieu/on top of the existing arms because they're really skinny and I wanted to look like more than a nighbringer with wings and a head jammed on it. I put the wings in the arm sockets because this eliminates the spindly arms from the equation, and I like the action/posture more because jamming them in the back would be really crowded and too :angelwing: for my taste. The problem is I still feel like it's missing something and I can't think of anything off hand in my collection that would solve/fit in this case, or even where it would go. Also I'm not sure if the very-human six-pack abs are distracting or not. So I need some help there

Secondly the Carnosaur-With-Lord-Of-Change-Wings-That-I-Totally-Thought-Of-Before-Jarrett-Did (CWLOCWTITTOBJD) for short. This dude will have arms, that's a given, i just need ideas. I'm going to mount the arms just above the shoulder joints on either side of its body because this seems like a very natural place to attach them that will fortunately require only minor pinning and sculpting. The problem again, is arms. The default carnosaur arms are okay but the model's posture/orientation are challenging to find things to attach to. I have an extra LOC staff the model's orientation makes it a crappy choice since it'd either have to be severely cut down or oriented along the entire length of the model. Anyone have suggestions for weapons or anything else that seems like it'd be a good fit? Sadly the soulgrinder sword is almost useless because it has HALF the fist molded onto it instead of the whole thing, and the side it's built for is the one that's closest to the ground. I have a bunch of chaos spawn bitz in my collection but I could definitely use a few ideas be it specific bitz or even just concepts I could try to bash out.
Ancow

Re: What does this model need?

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:35 am

WickerNipple

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:13 pm

WTF is that?

George, I actually REALLY dig it exactly how it is. don't force things. Just paint it well and it'll look awesome!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Ancow » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:15 pm

Nidal part of me actually agrees with you which is why im being very picky about what i add, if anything. I think Ushabti arms/weapons might be the only thing that fits so hopefully i can snag one of those.
Ancow

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Well, when I try to put bizzare models together, I try to make them anatomically correct. No, not the twig and berries part... I mean I try to make arms/legs/wings/etc. appear as they would in nature. Granted this is a fantasy setting, but if you look at birds, dinos, bats, they all have one pair of legs and one pair of arm/wings. Separate legs, arms AND wings only exist on insects. That's why I see it what you've done as more natural than arms and wings on the same model. But like I said, it is a fantasy setting, so anything goes.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 pm

There's also the basic design principle of "if you can't hide it, feature it". You've got a really long torso there. What if you put the arms farther down and emphasized that they were in an odd spot, maybe even have two pair of arms coming out of the same (complex) shoulder arrangement?
Emperors Reckoning

Postby Arash » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:54 pm

I have some ushabti I can give to you
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby Guy In Suit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 pm

i kinda like it as is as well. Maybe a bunch of tzeentchian flames floating about it, to add a bit more without trying to make arms.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Ancow » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 pm

I agree pretyt much with everyone here about it being fine as is. Honeslty at this point i'm down to either the Ushabti arms or nothing. I see the arms emerging from the wing joint thing being a decent possibility. source of inspiration? The bat gremlin from "Gremlins 2"

I do like Duncan's idea too though, that could work
Ancow

Postby warmongerclub » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:34 pm

I think I like it without arms. I'd just bring some feathers onto the torso using green stuff to merge the two textures and blend the joint. Otherwise, I like it.

Jim
warmongerclub

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting