Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:06 am

Should change the thread to "Bored in Hong Kong"
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:48 am

bored of dire avengers!

Painted the plates with regal blue, and then highlighted with a mix of regal blue and electric blue. Final highlight pure electric blue. Going to add one more highlight, and then tone it down with a blue wash.

Hate painting armour plates.  >D

EDIT: oh yeah, and ten of these guys took me like 3 hours
:x
-the black prince

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:32 pm

That space elf is looking high pimp stylish! :hat
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:53 am

Quote:
EDIT: oh yeah, and ten of these guys took me like 3 hours
That's FAST! For me, a fraggin infantry elf taked me about 3 hours. :x :x :x
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -the black prince » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm

Finished off the Dire Avengers: will get round to uploading pictures when I get their bases flocked etc.

But I have been working on my harlies today: which I'm hoping to be a centrepiece of the army.

Not been impressed by any of the harlies i've seen, harlies, in my mind are a whirling and dazzling blizzard of death. I want to try and capture this in my troupe.

First off - and not whirling is the shadow seer, who looks hauntingly menacing to me.

I wanted to give him a sense of a drifting ghost, and so decided to have him floating above the ground at the front of the base.

The base is loaded best with a coin - english 20p pieces fit wonderfully.

I found the base unbalanced when i angled him as far out as i wanted. I added some clippings of flash and spare bits of metal, and then covered them with superglue and dipped them in the sand. Sand also works as a handly counter-balance. Before and after photos below.

finished shadowseer:

-the black prince

Postby -the black prince » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 pm

I had a bone singer i was planning to do something with, and cut him off his base and had a play with him. He's a very unwarlike figure, but lots of robes i was really looking forward to painting, as a relief from all the wretched armour plates.

I decided his feet gave him a vaguely floating feel, and if these guys can mind war and eldrick storm, why can't they employ a bit of telekinesis (? - good word i learnt at 12 playing D&D) ?

Stuck a paper clip up his butt, and drilled a hole through the base. As this figure is going to be floating over a fairly level base, i wanted to make sure he was secure on his wire by bending the end, supergluing it to the underside of the base, and supergluing it, and then covering it up with greenstuff.

I cut his silly helmet wings off and gave them to the wraithlord, and gave him prince yriel's spear, and he's ready to go.

-the black prince

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:32 am

Great stuff. You've really captured a surprising lot of dynamism from the eldar metals. Especially dig the telekinesis
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:32 am

I cut the legs from the base, and filed the cut down so it looked smooth.

I glued the legs on at an angle

And filled in the gap between the hips and the waist with some greenstuff.

the next bit is quite fiddly, as you're drilling into a very fragile and thin piece of metal

I drilled upwards until i had an indent, and then drilled sideways through the curl of cloth at the bottom of the loincloth, and stuck a piece of paper clip in and glued it in place.

Once the glue had dried, I put some green stuff around the socket to help keep it all in place.

I used a very wet thumb and smoothed out the greenstuff, and left it to dry, and then put a sausage of green stuff around his waist to fill it out.

ready for basing:

The base will involve green stuff and cork.

I made a loop of greenstuff and used it to seal the cork in place.

drilled a hole through the cork and the base:

put some bits of the metal spru/base on the base to help weight the base down.

covered with sand: and now ready to paint!

-the black prince

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 am

I want to get some guys really looking like acrobats, and tried to get some real movement into this figure:

I cut him off the base with clippers:

Clippers cut smooth on one side and diagonal on the other. If you hold the clippers as in the picture below, you'll have the triangular side on the cloth, which will give you some of the curve you want on the bottom of the cloth. As below. Easily filed down to look right.

To get the movement, I had to bend the legs: i used GW pliers - which you have to be careful with, so as not to damage the figure - I use a bit of figure foam to protect the model

I clipped off the top of the legs, taking off the socket bobble, and also the top of the groin, Ouch! Before and after shots below.

then drilled a hole and with some green stuff filling in the hole, I poistioned him in a suitably tumbling position and left the green stuff to dry. (I'm not worried about getting a smooth look on the greenstuff yet - will add another layer when all set.)

Green stuff dry: He looks like this now.

I straightened out a paperclip with the GW pliers, and put some cork in the middle of the base.

It looks like this:

Drilled a hole in the back of the harly, and glued him in place:

the end was bent over and glued, and greenstuffed in place as before.

-the black prince

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:54 am

Haven't gotten round to finishing off the bases yet, but here are the DA exarch, and a couple of his guys.

-the black prince

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting