Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:24 am

Love the kung fu kick harli! The second one is a bit awkward.

A really great way to show movement is to add tassles or streamers (can't think of a more masculine word.. err streamers of facebeating!). That might be a solution to the strange positioning of the 2nd harli. You can show movement by the curve of the fabric trailing the harlis, like arching back with his leap like the overcoats in the matrix or the cloth in a movie like Hero. A bit of wire and greenstuff is all it would take.

The most striking element of your painting is your tans and browns. The blue highlight on the avengers is a bit of a stark transition - you really see only 2 color layering on a lot of the plates. Your second highlight probably needs to be a bit thicker, or your last thinner. Not a huge deal, just different from what I saw on the rangers.

I think the freehand on the exarch is a great touch.

All in all, excellent work. This may be your best army yet
-Jarrett

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:31 am

I agree with Jarrett on the blue highlights. Maybe it's the lighting or the scale of the pics, but they look a bit harsh on some minis.

Other than that... WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! The floating/kicking/fluing/jumping guys ROCK!!!!! They're not as pretty as Ms. Idiot, but they are the coolest re-posed metals I have EVER seen. Amazing! I can't wait to see them painted up. Let me know when you'll be hitting a tourney so I can fly over just to vote for them as players choice.

(alright... I'll put my tongue back in my mouth now
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:31 pm

Yeah: i think you're both right about the dire avengers, i think they just bored me titless. There's four layers of highlights, but i was using a crappy brush and got bored and they're a bit of a mess. I added a glaze to try and bring it all together, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Thanks for the comments about the harlies, this is how all harlies should look, IMO, and was surprised not to see a couple of somersaulters in the new releases.

Jarret: I think the figure looks les clunky in real life, but I cam e up with a similar idea last night while trying to get to sleep. I'm thinking something along the chinese ribbon dance, and could love to have a long swirl of cloth behind him, but doubt I'll get to do that. A few tassles though will help to add to the sense of movement.
-the black prince

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Soemtimes you just need to get it done and out of the way. They still look great - don't get me wrong - but you can tell that you didn't show them the love you did the rangers.

I'm very curious to see how the harlies turn out in the end. Keep us posted
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:27 pm

So - having done pretty well, I've done nothing for a week, and now have 12 days to go with 7 harlequins, warlock, farseer, autbike, base, 3 dark reapers and 6 harlequins to paint.

2 lots of these are ebay purchases, which may or may not arrive in time, meaning I'll be having to paint up some more wriathguard which'll drive me to brief bouts of insanity.

So now setting myself the aim of painting a few figures a day from now on, starting with the harlequins. Watch this space
-the black prince

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:40 pm

Go Go Go
Emperors Reckoning

Postby -the black prince » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:45 pm

some pics of tonight;s work

found i had overdecorated the figure and went for a more simple light dark scheme with chequered pattern on inside of the coat.
-the black prince

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Good color choice. I'm always impressed with symmetrical shapes on flat surfaces. For the model count remaining you're going to have to paint faster than that man
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:16 pm

OK: so I've been working on the harlequins, doing each one one by one so they all have a unique colour scheme. There are a few unifying features, like the yellow shoulder plates. I started off doing diamonds and allthe bells and whistles, but the figure looked too fussy, so went for a more simple/psychodelic look, with extremes of light and dark to get the impression of movement and colour.

Two more harlies to go / 4 dark reapers / 5 banshees / warlock, wraithlord display base and autarch on a bike. 5 days to go :x :x :x :x