Input device for your PC: your skin

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Input device for your PC: your skin

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:02 pm

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Micros ... ,9772.html

VIDEO: Skinput Uses Your Body as a Touchscreen
7:30 PM - March 2, 2010 by Jane McEntegart

Palm Tetris, anyone?

Microsoft recently showed off a muscle-controlled interface that it was developing with the help of engineers at the University of Washington and the University of Toronto. Now they've teamed up with a Carnegie Mellon student to develop Skinput; a technology that turns your skin into an input device.

Skinput is described as a bio-acoustic sensing technique that allows the body to be used as an input surface. Redmond and Carnegie Mellon developed a special armband that is worn on the bicep of the user and senses impact or pressure on the skin. It also measures the acoustic signals created by that impact. Variations in bone density, size and mass as well as the different acoustics created by soft tissues and joints mean different locations are acoustically distinct. Software listens for impacts on the skin and classifies each one.

The video below demonstrates a number of uses for using your skin as a controller; playing Tetris using your hands as a control pad or controlling your iPod using taps to your fingers. The engineers also incorporated a pico projector into the armband, meaning virtual 'buttons' can be beamed onto the user's forearm or hands.

Check out the video to see the technology in action.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Re: Input device for your PC: your skin

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Skinput? Heh. I've got some "skinput" for you. :slaanesh:
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:31 pm

I wished you had left the link out so that I could have imagined that you researched and wrote the entire article yourself.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby subversive » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:59 pm

I notice that they leave the projector out of all of the photos.
subversive

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Yup they do. This isn't really anything new or exciting when you factor the projector in. Putting it into the photos wouldn't impress people.
WickerNipple

Return to Off Topic