Health Care Bill: saving lives, or crushing freedom?

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Health Care Bill: saving lives, or crushing freedom?

Postby mattbird » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:39 pm

I am sad that it will take away Americans right to wither and die without health coverage. Now there will be more people breathing my air.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Health Care Bill: saving lives, or crushing freedom?

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:51 pm

So I'm not a criminal cause I can't afford health insurance til 2014.

Oooo. Maybe things'll be rosy then!

The fine's only a third what it would cost me to get insurance for the year though. I guess we'll just pretend that's a new tax.
WickerNipple

Postby allanmcnab » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Given that it pissed Ed Maule and Todd Wiatt off no end, I fail to see any potential downside to this bill :lol:

Andy, you are a criminal for other reasons.
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Postby mattbird » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Andy, correct me if I am wrong, but for those under a certain income level, would it not be government subsidized?

and additionally, if your employer has a payroll of over $500k, they would have to provide it. Not sure how big your company is...
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm above the payroll cap, but the cost of insurance would take me well below it.

Nor does my employer qualify for that.

But hey it wasn't supposed to appeal to me anyway.
WickerNipple

Postby elrodogg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm

There are some huge benefits to the legislation. Allowing folks to stay on their parents insurance till 25 being one of them. Not being allowed to drop a patient because they contract a high cost disease is another. I LOVE the elimination of the lifetime benefits limit and the annual spending limits. Also really glad that insurance companies won't be able to deny coverage because of pre-existing conditions are really big too.

As for the price, theoretically at least, it should go down. Since all the pricing will be in an exchange so it's all available in one place, coupled with less restrictions on whom insurance companies can sell to, there should be a race to the bottom price. Also, the more healthy people who have to sign up for insurance means that the risk will be spread around to more healthy people, lowering the price. How all that plays out in reality... well we'll see.

I have no idea of how they figured out it would save 8939834987 gazillion dollars like Pelosi claims, but I can say that I would prefer the government spending money on healthcare for americans then on wars for our freedom.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:42 pm

I support this legistlation, because in 2008 I had to go to the ER to get some stiches after cutting myself with a hobby knife. My insurance company at the time - Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey - attempted to deny my claim for over 8 months. They dis so because I hadn't had a physical in the past year, and they therefore couldn't rule out that the gaping wound was not due to a pre-existing condition.

No I am not kidding.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby subversive » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:01 pm

What level of insurance is required to avoid the penalty? I was under the impression that it was basically catastrophic insurance, which is pretty low priced, relatively speaking, and should drop even further if everyone is required to buy it.
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:22 pm

You're all kidding, right? Oh dear lord.

Dave Hohmann, please chime in? I want to hear how this bill is th3 l33t!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby allanmcnab » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Nidals credo is "Millions for insurance bailouts Not one cent for heathcare"
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Next

Return to Off Topic