Science confirms: Daggers are best

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: Science confirms: Daggers are best

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:27 am

Are they dense? 6 sideds pack completely solid. Do they mean "by shaking?" What's wrong with reporters nowadays? Every moron is a journalism major. Are there any journalists in the club? NO! Why? Because we kill them for stupidity.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby jer732 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 am

I read that this morning too and had a hard time thinking of how this was applicable to anything. Then again, I am stoopid.
jer732

Postby WickerNipple » Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 am

Well it sorta says:

The experiment, which is reported in the May 3 issue of Physical Review Letters, confirms recent calculations predicting efficient packing. Such packing problems are related to understanding many other problems including liquids seeping through soils, the flow of granular materials like sand and gravel, dense storage of information in digital memory, and even determining the best shapes for packaging consumer products like medicine tablets and candies.

But really. Really?
WickerNipple

Postby jer732 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 am

Yeah, despite that, it still seemed strange to me. I bet they really just wanted to play with dice and made up some fake experiment. See what your money pays for Arash!
jer732

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 am

They should hang out with those guys who did the loaded dice experiment where they rolled dice like 10,000 times and figured out that 6's came up 45.9% of the time or something.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Nidal, you are a charming wastrel, but nonetheless, a moron.

Cubes ( a set of which 6-sided dice are a subset) pack in the way you have described into rectangular containers. I did not note anything in the story that indicated that the containers employed in the study were rectangular. Pony up a pickle jar for those dice and daggers will swamp your cheaters every time.

Now, run along and do something immoral and entertaining.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Nonono.... the smaller the cubes are relative to the size of the container, the less % of wasted space there is. Unless, of course, the container is rectangular, in which case cubes are idea.

Methinks these jokers were experimenting with random packing (shaky shaky... or as well call in the Catastrophe Forecasting and Analysis business: liquifaction).

Either way, we need to seal the border in honor of Cinqo de Mayo.
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Cubes are pretty terrible at random stacking, actually. I can't believe someone with a giant monstrous gallon of dice doesn't realize this.

Spheres do it pretty awesome. Slightly egg shaped things even better. Now apparently it's all about the Daggers.

That page up there has links to the article synopsis and a review of the general subject, if ya care to read it. It's not all that exciting, unless you're fascinated by other people's devotion to minutia.
WickerNipple

Postby subversive » Wed May 05, 2010 7:38 pm

I already know who they can sell their research to.

subversive

Next

Return to Off Topic