Watch out for that Grolar Bear!

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Watch out for that Grolar Bear!

Postby jer732 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:04 pm

jer732

Re: Watch out for that Grolar Bear!

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 pm

ummm, my brief foray into natural science lead me to believe that different species could not mate and bare viable offspring (forgive the pun).
If the mother of the grolar bear was a grolar bear then they are not totally different species by definition. Did the definition get refined or are they wrong about the bears?
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby jer732 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 pm

You are thinking about this too much. All you need to know is that Grolar Bear rawk! :orc thumb:
jer732

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:58 pm

By definition, it would make the the same species. (think dogs, which are all the same species, yet have been selectively bred to serve a variety of functions... bears differentiated the same way)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed May 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Well, given that they are both members of the Ursinae subfamily of Ursidae, there should not be any compatibility issues, genetically. Similar to wolf and dog, rather than variants of dog.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 pm

I have to check into this. Family is way farther up the nomenclature tree than species.

Nidal .. all dogs are the same species but these bears are indicated to be of different species in the article. Mules are a cross between donkey and horse but all are sterile. I'll get back to you.... (the wolf hybrid thing troubles me in this regard too)>

And Jer, the existance of this hybrid is a sad thing, not a great one, or cool one. It is another story resulting from detruction of habitat forcing these bears into each others space and it is tragic. Sorry. It's hard for me to have a sense of humor about it.
Last edited by Amazonwarlord on Wed May 26, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 pm

I hope a grolar bear eats sarah palin.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 am

There are many definitions of what kind of unit a species is (or should be). A common definition is that of a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring of both sexes (except in the case of asexually reproducing species), and separated from other such groups with which interbreeding does not normally happen.

That's from the wikipedia article. There are problems with the term species and it goes into those if you are interested.
Thanks ...
Amazonwarlord

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:07 am

That's the thing. The article said that the mother was a grolar, which means she's fertile, which means that by definition of species, they're all one big happy species, regardless of what some explorer in 1704 who wanted his name in the history books as the discoverer of the polar bear said about them.

And don't be upset about something going extincct of species adapting and changing habitat. It's been going on for 3.5 billion years. What the stat... 99% of species of animals who ever lived have gone extinct? Polar bears aren't going anywhere.

A quick google search ingoring sites with names like humansareevil.com or drillingnow.org got me this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/colu ... mists.html

Pretty funny stuff, thoguh I'm sure Andrew will tell us in colorful language how the dissenting view is automatically wrong. :mrgreen:

My favorite single item on the page was a comment about how polar bears have no problems surviving in 100 degree weather... just go to a zoo in summer and look! :lol:
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 am

it's not the dissapearance of 1 or 2 species Nidal, it is the destruction of habitat that upsets me. I understand extinction. I even understand that global changes happen over time. But we - as a species - had added in the pregression of destruction of habitat for these and many species. That's what sickens me. And I'm not talking about global warming but about the destruction of wetlands, over fishing, over developement of ecologically sensative areas, etc.

And no, it's not funny stuff. Sorry bud.
Amazonwarlord

Next

Return to Off Topic