No hobbit for you!

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: No hobbit for you!

Postby -Papa Gino » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:16 am

Quote:
they talk about 2 films - the hobbit and a lotr 'prequel' - not the silmarilion

Who knows - and who cares? The studios are going to ride the "big-budget-Christmas-tim-fantasy-flick" wagon until the stupidity becomes excessive even by the standards of the average moviegoer. [I'm holding out hope that "Eragon" will at least nudge things in that direction. The CGI in the trailer actually looks pretty bad compared with LOTR or Narnia. Then again, Lucas has proven that once a franchise gets established, people will take a long, long time to get off the crack.] Doesn't matter who makes it, or how - in this sense, Jackson was just a "name" that draws moviegoers, but I think they've settled on the fact that a film doesn't have to have "from the director of Lord of the Rings" tagline to draw crowds - especially "The Hobbit", or a (possibly Hellishly awful) "Lord of the Rings - the Prequel".

On the bright side, I think Jackson was running into a brick wall making big productions anyway. He should have a few years of smaller-scale stuff to catch a break and refine his editing/etc. - and _then_ go back to making blockbusters. If they let him, which I suspect they might not (unless "Hobbit" sans Jackson bombs - not a great chance of that happening, to put it mildly - then the studios bring him in to "rescue" the franchise).
-Papa Gino

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:34 am

Jackson was running into a brick wall.... with King Kong? Huh?

Anyway, in fact he was more than a name. Beyond his directing talents, and excellent vision of Tolkien's world, he had solid writers with him. The movie will definitely suffer for their loss.

Beyond that, yeah, who does care if a potentially great movie doesn't get made? Because there are so many of them out there..
-Jarrett

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:51 am

Not to mention WETA Workshop which did an amazing job on their end handcrafting every little thing in those movies - I agree Jarrett
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:29 am

Crafting every little thing in those movies... 2 TIMES!!! One for both scales. It's idiotic short-sightedness.
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:17 am

Disagree Jackson was running out of steam, but personally, I was on the wall over the script of Jackson's Lotr: but on the setting and the visualisation he did a fantastic job.

Can't imagine the studio will find anyone who will do such a thorough job: but then you never know. God knows how terrible the humour would have become if Jackson had 13 dwarves to play with. :(

And there's always the chance that someone will do it better. Though, i share papa's pessimism, and imagine the dumbing down will continue.
-the black prince

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:21 am

Quote:
God knows how terrible the humour would have become if Jackson had 13 dwarves to play with.

Hehe ... true !! I once told Jarrett what one thing I'd change if I could in the movies. After some reflection I realized rather than what I told him it really is NOT to make Gimli the laughing stock. He's a bad-ass in the book and should have been portrayed better.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:59 am

Yes, Gimli's comedy routine was trying. He was very successful in the first movie, but there was a personality shift in the wrong direction. That said I mind him less in the third movie than the second (which has my least favorite moment - the last last battle of elves and men).

Still, I think they took Gimli in that direction in the context of the whole fellowship and doubt it would play any part in the Hobbit
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:47 pm

Quote:
which has my least favorite moment - the last last battle of elves and men

you mean the gestapo elf routine!!!!

truly aweful! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
-the black prince

Postby -LcKedovan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:07 pm

There were no F@#&ng elves at Helms Deep FFS!!!!!

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!!!
>:
(damn scene).

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby savaughn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:02 am

Perhaps they will let Joel Schumacher direct it. He always does well picking up an existing franchise...
savaughn

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic