The real 1st man in space & 1st to break sound barrier.

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

The real 1st man in space & 1st to break sound barrier.

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:42 am

Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Re: The real 1st man in space & 1st to break sound barrier.

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:05 am

I can turn it on your head. :D

You can only break the sound barrier if you're moving thru an atmosphere. Since Earth is surrounded by an atmosphere, and not moving thru it, Earth is not breaking the sound barrier.

If I swing my palm fast enough to break the sound barrier, and connect with your face, & talk at the same time, that's super-sonic smack talk. ;) I'll need to practice though. How about this Thursday
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:12 am

Actually, there's debate as to whether or not he broke the sound barrier. He was damn close, that's for sure. Personally, I'm in the camp that he didn't, as the shockwave may have shattered every bone in his body, or at least left him with one HELL of a body-bruise!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:18 am

Wrong. You don't need to have an atmosphere for sound to travel. It travels through solids and liquids which don't have atmospheres. In fact the speed of sound changes for those mediums. Sound does travel based on particles, particles exist in space. Sound travels in space (space is not a perfect vacuum, which sound would not travel through). Granted you would be hard pressed however to hear it, but to say it doesn't travel through it is false.

I do however agree with your super-sonic smacktalk (in theory at least). Why don't you test it on Big Al and get abck to me?
elrodogg

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:18 am

I was wondering about the shockwave, but does it go faster than the object it's trailing
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:24 am

:lol Ronen, of course I was refering to the traditional sense of breaking the sound barrier in air, as breaking it assumes that you have to travel thru the same medium.

As far as sound traveling thru space, the vast majority of space is vacuum, therefore sound does not travel thru space, but thru matter. :p 0]
The Gunslinger

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 am

Ronen, space is effectively soundless. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is not enough matter to transmit any sort of measurable or appreciable sound. Yes, particles do exist, and they do move, but they are SOOOOOO scarce that they will not transmit energy in any sort of way coordinated enough to transmit what could be defined, in the loosest sense, as sound. Ain't happening. (at least not in anything as empty as, say, the area halfway between the earth and the moon, which is rather full of tons of crap compared to deep space).

Lou, sound have a certain speed in a certain medium. An atmosphere of a certain pressure, at a certain temperature, has a certain specific speed for sound. the shockwave doesn't trail the object. It spreads out from the object at the speed of sound. As the object approached the speed of sound, the shockwave appears to compress (in fact, it's moving just as fast as before, but it doesn't have the speed to so quickly "get away" from the object creating it). At the point where the speed of the object matches the speed of sound, all that shockwave pressure meets up at the surface of the object. WHAMO! Bad things happen. (early planes to hit the sound barrier were partially destroyed, went out of control, and crashed, killing the pilots) Yeager wasn't the first pilot to hit the sound barrier... he was the first pilot to hit the sound barrier AND SURVIVE.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:26 am

Quote:
the vast majority of space is vacuum

A gross oversimplification that simply isn't correct. At any time, there are tons of particles (not all of which have mass mind you) moving through the universe.
elrodogg

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:27 am

Nidal - believe it or not, I do know what I am talking about. No, I don't expect to "hear anything" coming from space, but to say it's a vacuum that doesn't transmit sound is incorrect. Period.
elrodogg

Next

Return to Off Topic