The real 1st man in space & 1st to break sound barrier.

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: The real 1st man in space & 1st to break sound barrier.

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:17 am

Sigh.

Other than that, no comment.

I'm confident that the other Gaters can read the posts on this thread (and draw their own conclusions) just fine without any snide analysis from me :|
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:39 am

Too late Ken. I caught it before you edited, but thanks for the retraction, whether it was for my sake or not.

Anyway, how about this website as a backup to my stance. I'm still looking for the quantum leap (physics) explanation. www.school-for-champions.com/science/sound.htm

To the point though...
Quote:
Does not travel in vacuum
Because sound is the vibration of matter, it does not travel through a vacuum or in outer space. When you see movies or TV shows about battles in outer space, you should only be able to see an explosion but not hear it. The sounds are added for dramatic effect.

Some atoms in space
Note that in outer space, there are actually some widely-spaced atoms and molecules floating around. But since they are so far apart, regular wave motion would not be great enough to detect.

:D I figured that I should post a link before I read the whole thing.

www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_030922.htmlwaves passing through matter, whether the matter is spread thinly or close together.

Standard 2 is the Lou standard of sound, which only Lou can hear and just doesn't matter
-Jarrett

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:43 am

Thanks Jarrett. You're almost as arrogant as Ken. Almost
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:51 am

Welcome to the Dark Side, Jarrett.

Lou is never wrong. People who try to say otherwise are simply arrogant condescending close-minded jerks. Er, like me :evil

Better apologize to him before you reach the point of no return
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:53 am

Ha!!!
Quote:
As the pressure peaks travel outward from the cavities around the black hole, collisions occur between atoms in the gas, generating X-rays that reveal a concentric ring pattern. Being a form of light, X-rays can traverse the universe sans any medium, and these are what Chandra detected.

The sound waves rapidly die out, their energy converted to heat. So in essence the B-flat was seen, not heard, from 250 million light-years away.

The sound traveled, as per my 1st reference, via matter, and died out after exhausting said medium and turned to heat, as per Nidal.

Can someone post a link to an article that proves otherwise, instead of insulting me?

Jarrett & Ken, I don't like to apologize to arrogant people even if I'm wrong. Link an article to back up whatever it is your saying, and paste the relavant material, like I did
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:59 am

Ya know Ken & Jarrett. Instead of responding to your bullshit, I'm simply going to ask you guys to "stop insulting me". Maybe you'll get the point and we can talk.

Stop insulting me.
Stop insulting me.
Stop insulting me.

:)
The Gunslinger

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:00 am

Google says (on the VERY FIRST PAGE of the "sound + space" search):
www.astronomycafe.net/qad...11650.html
Quote:
Actually...yes!!

What is sound? It is a pressure wave. So long as you have some kind of gaseous medium, you will have the possibility of forming pressure waves in it by 'shocking' it in some way.

In space, the interplanetary medium is a very dilute gas at a density of about 10 atoms per cubic centimeter, and the speed of sound in this medium is about 300 kilometers/sec. Typical disturbances due to solar storms and 'magneto-sonic turbulence' at the earth's magnetopause have scales of hundreds of kilometers, so the acoustic wavelengths are enormous. Human ears would never hear them, but we can technologically detect these pressure changes and play them back for our ears to hear by electronically compressing them.

www.space.com/scienceastr...30922.html
Quote:
Sound can travel through space, because space is not the total vacuum it's often made out to be. Atoms of gas give the universe a ubiquitous atmosphere of sorts, albeit a very thin one.

Sound, unlike light, travels by compressing a medium. On Earth, the atmosphere works well as a sound-carrying medium, as does water. The planet itself is very adept at transmitting an earthquake's seismic waves, a form of sound.

Space, though not as efficient, can also serve as a medium.

If a brave and clever astronaut could safely remove her helmet and shout into the cosmos, her voice would carry.

"We wouldn't be able to hear the sound because our ears aren't sensitive enough," explains Lynn Carter, a graduate student in astronomy at Cornell University. Not enough atoms -- if any -- would strike our eardrums. "Maybe if we had an amazingly large and sensitive microphone we could detect these sounds, but to our human ear it would be silent."

PS: please note that this second one was from the EXACT SAME ARTICLE that you (very selectively) quoted from -- and then failed to actually provide the link to. That's not just being wrong, that's being a f'in liar and misquoting and misrepresenting to "prove" your point. If you were being, you know, actually GRADED for this kind of 'research', you would have just failed. F, baby.

So can I start insulting you now?

PS: when you say bullshit and people call you on it, that's not an insult. That's truth. So here's a little mantra for you:

Stop pulling bullshit out of your ass.

:evil

And then we can actually talk
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:07 am

No, do not insult me. BTW, I linked the same article (you're 2nd one) and pasted a relavant point above. "Why did we hear a B-flat from that black hole if sound doesn't travel thru space?" "We didn't. We saw the sound." But your first one is lacking meat. It has #'s, but as per the main page's blurb: "The web site for the astronomically disadvantaged", that's the type of website you referenced? :rolleyes
The Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic