WII!!!

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

WII!!!

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:23 am

:D :D :D :D

So I waited in line at the Nintendo store by my house and got a Wii yesterday (on the release date).

It's amazing. I can't even express how impressed I am, between the amazing variety of features, game styles, everything I can think of is AMAZING! The only thing to watch out for are the cruddy 3rd party ports like Rampage, which aren't using the system very well yet.

Games like Zelda, Red Steel, and Wii sports are so much frikkin fun it hurts, if you haven't played a Wii yet, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you go out and try it today.

The paridigm of gaming just shifted, and I freakin love it! :D :D :D
-FarseerVinnie

Re: WII!!!

Postby elrodogg » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:26 am

Be careful of this bug.....

I've heard nothing but good things aside from that one bug.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Is it really? I've been debating what system I'd like to replace my X Box. 360 looks fabulous and has some great games, but it's the first to be released and for the price I felt it would leave me jealous. (If I could actually afford it, that is.) I know Wii is going to be significantly cheaper than PS3 and the new approach to game controls really has me tempted.
-Jarrett

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:22 pm

Try it out, see how you feel. My guess is that after playing a few of the Wii sports games, you'll be sold...
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:23 am

Ah but I'm not a sports game fan. What really caught my eye was stuff like zelda, actually hacking and slashing your way through levels. And some ninja game preview
-Jarrett

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 am

The sports games aren't actual "sports games." They're the game that comes with the system to show off the controller.

I'm playing through Zelda, and of course, it's amazing. Also Smash will be coming out eventually, as will every classical nintendo franchise ever.
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:45 am

Sounds like a Wii party at your place. :D
-Jarrett

Postby -Papa Gino » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:00 am

Where Wii can really hammer at the X360, I think, is precisely in the slasher/FPS/TPS type games. These had been the staple of the Xbox game library (part of why that console sold better in the U.S. than in Japan) - and now you have similar stuff on Wii, but with the added sword/gun action.

The perfect example is Call of Duty 3 - tell me the Wii setup (where you actually aim the gun and dish out HTH hurt yourself) isn't infinitely better than 360's "move stick-push button" configuration. Ditto with that Yakuza-inspire Wii shooter (Red Something), where you use a gun and a sword at the same time. Ditto on Zelda and similar type games (and Resident Evil clones as well). [If I were Nintendo I'd be begging Konami and Koei to release the next Castlevania and Dynasty Warrior games on Wii. Conversely, if I'm Sony or Microsoft, I'm begging them to do precisely the opposite.]

That said, a lot will depend on whether Nintendo will take advantage and go after Microsoft, and do so early, before Micro can get out some of its 800 pound gorilla franchises (e.g. Knights of the Old Republic). [I'm deliberately downplaying Wii vs. PS3 as Sony's core strength since PS1 has been in Japanese-type RPGs - previously dominated by Nintendo - which the Wii controller setup does not meaningfully enhance. On the other hand, a Jak & Daxter or a Ratchet & Clank on the Wii would probably play much, much better than on the PS3.] Recall that part of the issue with Gamecube was that the library didn't meaningfully branch out into the really meaty portions of the market (shooters, RPGs) until late, late in the release cycle.

If I were choosing one of the three consoles, I'd a) determine what types of games I like to play and b) compare the game libraries of each respective console. If I like cross-console or Wii-specific shooters and action games (i.e. Call of Duty 3, Zelda), then definitely Wii. If I like some Xbox/PS3-exclusive stuff (Halo, Gears of War, any of the MegaTen games), or games that do not fully utilize the Wii controller (Final Fantasy excluding XII), well...you get the point.

The other thing that I'm keeping half an eye on is physical stress brought on by the "action" games on the Wii. Previously you didn't have such a large and diverse population sample to evaluate for this sort of thing, and if, as a hypothetical, it turns out over the next few years (not days, years) that certain Wii games aggravate certain joint issues (e.g. the tennis game wrecks your elbow worse than actual tennis), well...things could get really interesting. On the other hand, the industry has managed to dodge the "finger stress" and "rumble feature damage to hands" issue for the time being. Maybe it's just a matter of decades rather than years passing.
-Papa Gino

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:22 am

Another important thing to consider is that there are entire genres of games we haven't even thought about yet.

For example no one predicted Nintendogs or Animal Crossing or Brain Age would be any good, but in Japan that's all that people talk about or do.

The new Warioware game that'll be out soon is a great example of this, anyone can pick up the control and play, it's so intuitive and has such a "wow" factor that people you wouldn't consider "gamers" actually get hooked.

It'll be agreat generation for gaming, Nintendo has come through in style. :D
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:34 am

Wii has also really opened up a new way of approaching actual RPGs. If it could run something like Oblivion, how cool would it be to not only be immersed in that expansive world, but actually hack and slash your way through it in your living room? Clearly EVERY first person game becomes infinitely more interactive by simply allowing the in game actions to be manipulated by real life gestures and movements.

If you could actually become a skilled in-game swordfighter/archer/pilot etc and play in a virtual internet world you're opening a whole new genre of interactivity. Virtual actions actually based on physical ability (beyond button-based hand eye coordination) -- things are coming full circle. So cool.
-Jarrett

Return to Off Topic