The Singularity - (nothing to do with black holes)

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

The Singularity - (nothing to do with black holes)

Postby -dumbuket » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:51 am

For the few nerds who don't already know about it:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_singularity

I'm a huge fan of Vernor Vinge, myself. His sci-fi, at least... I'm working on the math.

Like it? Love it? Hate the idea? Old news? It's one of the driving themes behind the cyberpunk movement in scifi.
-dumbuket

Re: The Singularity - (nothing to do with black holes)

Postby The Gunslinger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:18 pm

It eerily reminds me of what happened in the Matrix, particularly "01", the city the machines built in the Animatrix.

If the Singularity happens, I'd think that it can be controlled, until a few wackos push it over the limit, or actually give the super-AI more control. Can you say Silon (Battlestar Galactica)? :lol
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Re: The Singularity - (nothing to do with black holes)

Postby -Papa Gino » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:51 pm

...and _of course_ the entire debate blatantly ignores the socio-economic and political factors behind the periodic leaps in human development...or the law of diminishing returns (closely associated with the law of large numbers). Or the nature of technological advancement with respect to human nature (i.e. technology changes and distances/time contract, but we, humans, and our underlying cognitive processes, remain the same).

Blah. While an interesting concept, in particular the interaction of future AI technologies with humanity, I find the analysis to be somewhat flawed. Even if it weren't, assuming AI improvements are driven by the logistical requirements of a civilization, and the ratio of AI capability / total civilization capability keeps increasing, we're basically staring at a 68%-95% probability (1-2 standard deviations) of an Eeloy/Morlock scenario with AI playing the Morlocks (but with rather more efficiency than the flesh and blood version).
-Papa Gino

Return to Off Topic