Jarrett -

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Jarrett -

Postby Ancow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Continuing off a discussion we had long long ago....

Mastodon = Good. Do you have further opinions on any of the following:

In Flames
Lamb of God
As I Lay Dying
Amon Amarth

If not: Maybe you should

(There does not seem to be nearly enough music discussion around these parts)
Ancow

Re: Jarrett -

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Quote:
(There does not seem to be nearly enough music discussion around these parts)

Don't get me started...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -Metax8983 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:52 am

I could probably answer this better than Jarrett.

Mastodon IS great. I recommend all the warmongers who are remotely interested in rock music pick up their latest: Blood Mountain.

In Flames: Once the pinnacle of the melodic death metal genre, they are now caricatures of their former self. However, if you go back in their catalogue to Colony, Whoracle, The Jester's Race and maybe Clayman you will hear some really awesome death metal that heavily incorporates an "Iron Maiden" riff styling.

In Flames truly ruled underground metal in the late 90's, early millenium, but now they are very concerned with repetitive song writing, sing-whining, and selling t-shirts to the Hot Topic, Headbanger's Ball crowd. It's not that they've sold out, because I love it when a metal band makes money, but the modern song-writing relies too much on cliche vocal hooks to keep my interest.

Lamb of God: Modern day thrash with a metalcore vocalist (Metalcore=european melodic death metal plus american hardcore) They are okay. I own As The Palaces Burn which has 2 tracks worth listening to more than once. I believe there are 2 more albums after this, but I have heard neither. Palaces turned me off with its non-existent drums, souless guitars and a lack of vision when it came to song-writing. Mastodon they are not. The songs lead nowhere, and really just sound like a random assortment of riffs. The kids love em though because they are sort of the Agnostic Front of the metal world. Anti this and that.

As I Lay Dying: Quintessential metalcore band that typifies the more popular aspect of the underground metal scene. Again, they are okay. The kids love the genre because the vocalists growl their way through the bridge, leading up to an epic hair-metal singing type chorus. You will find every metalcore band follows this formula. Snore. Heavy riff recycling and little distinguishability between bands. The most popular band that follows this is Killswitch Engage.

Amon Amarth: Holy fucking shit. It's hilarious that they appear on the same list as the above bands.

Viking metal. Nuff 'said. Total Northern European straight ahead death metal with "melodic" tropes and epic styling. Also, they are vikings. YouTube Amon Amarth and everything will be made clear. Not a bad band, though not my favorite as they can be a little repetitive.

Based on your inquiries I can recommend further listening:

Dark Tranquility: The In Flames that maintained their solid song writing abilities. Their latest album Character should be easy to find.

Isis: Ambient prog-metal. Wouldn't know how to describe it other than long songs that never get boring or masturbatory in that prog kind of way. Large, epic, expansive, crushing. Check out Oceanic, Panopticon or their latest (name escapes me).

Emperor: Black Metal that isn't annoying or too retarded. Think of Amon Amarth on Crystal Meth. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and Prometheus are muy bueno.

The Black Dahlia Murder or Unearth: The only metalcore bands I respect. Much headbanging and happy riffing. Unearth's vocals may be easier to work with (if you aren't a metalhead anyway). Still, there ain't no singing here.
-Metax8983

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:44 am

Yeah, what he said. :rolleyes
-Jarrett

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:55 am

As for a real response...

I'm glad you're liking Mastodon. Of the three albums of theirs I've listened to thoroughly, I think Blood Mountain is the most successful. It managegs variety while maintaining the hard edge that left an impression in their prior two releases. The vocals are generally more interesting, and there's a classic story element.

In Flames I saw years ago at a Slayer concert. They totally turned me off with a poor performance and I haven't really given them a solid listen since. Perhaps I was witnessing the "caricature" or perhaps they deserve a revisit.

Lamb of God I heard once a while back, doesn't strike any bells.

I'll check out As I Lay Dying. Like all those "kids" I'm fond of Killswitch Engage, so if this is in that genre it might tickle me right. This kind of stuff (Killswitch's kind of stuff) might not be as layered as a lot of the other metal here, but I find they don't sacrifice making good songs for making complicated ones, which much metal does.

Of Jacob's recommendations I put Isis at the fore. My experience is limited to Panopticon but this is a fantastic album. For it's 7 (?) tracks it holds up to much revisiting. It's subtle metal, and flows windingly in interesting directions -- really good stuff to paint to. I've let the album run on repeat and you'll barely recognize the end transist to the beginning. Great stuff.

The Black Dahlia Murder I've been listening to J blast through my door. I love the guitar work. No vocals of note whatsoever, to the point where I want the singer to shutup and make music, but still worth a listen
-Jarrett

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:59 am

Why do we need a real response from you when we have Jacob?
WickerNipple

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:00 am

I have no good answer. |I
-Jarrett

Return to Off Topic