Technology Advice Needed (Cellphone and PC)

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Technology Advice Needed (Cellphone and PC)

Postby AndyP » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi All,

Two questions regarding technology. I am a bit of a luddite, so excuse my ignorance.

First, a US specific one regarding cellphones. Does anybody know of a US cellphone provider that does a pay-as-you-go simcard only product. I don't even know if you have them over there, but basically pay-as-you-go services work on a pre-payment service. For example I would buy $20 worth of call time* which would last until it had run out.

Basically as I'm going to be in the states for a few weeks, it would be nice to be able to make and receive calls whilst I'm there without having to pay the ludicrous international roaming charges from my UK provider. If I could just buy a sim card for my existing phone, I think this could be a much cheaper alternative. My phone is quad-band, so I should have no problems with compatibility.

Does anybody know of any providers that I can check out?

* from the internet, a grocery store, newsagents, atm, etc

The second question is regrading a PC upgrade. After having had a go at playing the demo for Medieval 2: Total War I realise that I'm going to have to juice-up my PC in order to play it at anything resembling a smooth rate. My graphics card is pretty new and I reckon it will be fine, but I need to upgrade my processor and motherboard.

The problem is that I have no idea what is what in the current processor arena. All the numbers and acronyms mean nothing to me any more. What would be a good processor for gaming that I could get at a reasonable price? I'm not looking for anything at the bleeding edge, but something that's still pretty potent.

Cheers for any help,

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Re: Technology Advice Needed (Cellphone and PC)

Postby Slyde » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:58 pm

I don't know anything about the phone service, but as for the computer stuff, it might help if you could list what you currently have. You say your video card is OK, but is it AGP or PCI Express? That will make a big difference in what motherboards are good options. Also, if you have any preference as to Intel or AMD processors, it would be good to know.
Slyde

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:12 pm

Here's a quick search result on phones:

www.net10-store.com/direc...hzip=11209

$40 for 60 days, 300 mins with no contract. Additional minutes are 10 cents per. (assume you're going to pay a few bucks for taxes and such)

They sell these at walmarts, kmarts, targets, etc. (US superstores).

Also, circuitcities are everywhere in the NYC area and have their own prepaid plans and phones: www.circuitcity.com/ssm/P...orylist.do

Looks like $20 for a cheap phone... no idea if that includes minutes.

If you can, give circuitcity a call and see if they sell sim cards you can use with your existing phone, as many of these cheap phones have bad reviews (generally related to battery life).

Hope that helps.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby warmongerclub » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Quote:
I am a bit of a luddite, so excuse my ignorance.

I'm confused, what does religion have to do with this? :lol
warmongerclub

Postby AndyP » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:30 am

Quote:
You say your video card is OK, but is it AGP or PCI Express? That will make a big difference in what motherboards are good options. Also, if you have any preference as to Intel or AMD processors, it would be good to know.

My graphics card requires a 4x or 8x AGP port. It's a XFX Geforce 6200 512MB - If that means it's actually rubbish, let me know so I can abandon this whole idea.

Regarding AMD or Intel, I have no preference - bang for my buck is what I'm after.

Nidal,

Cheers for digging up that info - I'll check it out.

Jim,

I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I was aware, the Luddites were a anti-industrial revolution group. I had no idea they were religious.

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:41 am

Your graphics card is definitely not rubbish. It's not absolute top of the line, but 512MB exceeds the requirments of most computer games - all the popular ones I can think of. Minimum requirements have generally shifted to 128mb, and the more intensive games require 256. You double this so you're fine.

For a processor you're looking for about a 3 Ghz. Minimum requirements are typically sitting in the lower 2 range. You need at least 1 gig of ram, and probably want 1.5. This should hold its own well into the future
-Jarrett

Postby warmongerclub » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:56 am

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I was aware, the Luddites were a anti-industrial revolution group. I had no idea they were religious.

That was meant to be a joke. You know, like it sounds like a religion :rolleyes Guess not! :lol
warmongerclub

Postby AndyP » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:47 pm

Sorry Jim,

I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.

Jarrett,

Glad to hear my card is okay. I've also got 1 Gig of RAM (no idea what flavour), so I should be okay there too. I'll look out for deals on 3GHz chips.

Are any of these dual-processor thingies worth considering?

Andy P
AndyP

Return to Off Topic