ELECTION RESULTS!

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

ELECTION RESULTS!

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:53 pm

(I'm not going to say anything because no matter what I say one of you fuckers will tell me I'm wrong)

Feel free to respond to this lack of statement any way you want.

:|
-FarseerVinnie

Re: ELECTION RESULTS!

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 pm

Dems have control of the House. That, to me and mine, is a good thing in some respects... :)
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:47 pm

I agree.

Also, I posted that while drunk as all hell, so... my bad...
-FarseerVinnie

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 pm

No worries. I posted when I was still tired and nursing my second cup of coffee...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 pm

Dems got the senate too. Nice work. Gridlock is great for the economy. :) I was amazed at the number of corrupt repubs out there. Scandal after scandal. WTF?!?!!? Thankfully, they got booted.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:27 am

Gridlock can indeed be good for the economy. Uncertainty isn't, so the sooner that the VA and MT elections are certified, the happier the stock market will be.

Gridlock is also really good for the checks-and-balances of the entire system. Granted, I tend to think that the sanctity of the constitutional process, the foundation upon which the mechanisms of the economy rest, is a bit more important overall than just the economy by itself.

Gridlock means political moderation by necessity. But it will be interesting (and no doubt exhausting) to see how W spends the next two years, given the GOP loss of Congress
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby Ancow » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:50 am

So anyone else need new pants after Rumsfeld resigning? And the ensuing press conference of Bush getting utterly gangbanged by the press?
Ancow

Postby -John Bianchi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:21 am

Well at first I enjoyed both, but I don't like watch retards get tortured.

However, I have to watch it for my work, so I muddled through somehow. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
-John Bianchi

Postby -Papa Gino » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 am

Assuming the Democrats' lead in Virginia holds - and we may not know for weeks - it strikes me that, perhaps, these are not very "good" election results. Especially for the anti-Bush constituency. And notwithstanding the fact that in a two-party system, "splitting" the various power centers between the parties (instead of consolidating them under one roof) is usually a good thing.

Three reasons.

Number one - sweeping both houses of Congress in 2006 potentially sets the Democrats up for a fall in 2008, when the Republicans can plausibly claim that "see, you gave them power, and they've only made things worse". [Note - "to claim" does not mean "to prove".]

This would have been a much more difficult strategy to contemplate if the RNC retained control of at least the Senate.

Number two - there already exists ample precedents of this Administration a) stampeding Congress into passing or upholding most of its proposals on certain issues (the Military Commissions Act passed by 250/170/12 in the House and 65/34/1 in the Senate - and now the incoming Democrat class seems to be a bit further to the right than before), and b) ignoring those bits of legislation which it does not like.

In other words, what's changed, really? Particularly since the Democratic majority would be too slim to break any meaningful gridlock.

Number three - this may actually lead to an _increase_ in Administration-inspired mischief. Two competing rationalizations - the first, that Cheney & Co. sees his ultimate challenge in asserting presidential authority over a _hostile_ Congress. So - more shenanigans are in the offing.

The second rationalization is somewhat darker, combining the Military Commissions Act with Part II of the recently passed HR5122 (Public Law 109-364, available at www.congress.gov). Notably, Sections 525-526 of this fun little document basically shift control of the National Guard from state governors to the Secretary of Defense, while Section 1076 allows the President to employ the National Guard to "restore public order and enforce the laws...in order to suppress...any insurrection...unlawful combination, or conspiracy. Connecting the dots with this one is painfully easy.

[Pat Leahy's subdued reaction: "the implications of changing the (Posse Comitatus) Act are enormous...There is good reason for the constructive friction in existing law when it comes to martial law declarations. Using the military for law enforcement goes against one of the founding tenets of our democracy. We fail our Constitution, neglecting the rights of the States, when we make it easier for the President to declare martial law and trample on local and state sovereignty...Since hearing word a couple of weeks ago that this outcome was likely, I have wondered how Congress could have gotten to this point. It seems the changes to the Insurrection Act have survived the Conference because the Pentagon and the White House want it."]

So - net net, I'm anything but optimistic.
-Papa Gino

Postby -Papa Gino » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:28 am

I should note that the Rummy removal does not necessarily equal a good thing either. The Administration doesn't really do anything because of "potential Congressional pressure" or "public opinion". Nor does it care much about on-the-ground performance.

Rummy was intensely hated by the Army and the Marines, which a) are currently taking the brunt of the costs of the Iraq/Afghanistan bru-ha-ha, and b) have been the two service branches vehemently opposed to any military action against Iran and Syria.

Rummy's removal looks to me too much like a gimme to the Army and the Marines? Why? To keep them quiet while the Iraq operation enters a new phase? Or as a trade-off for their assent to something else?

I would not be shorting oil futures right now if I were insane enough to play the commodities markets. [Which can be quite fickle; note the hedge fund Amaranth, which had lost >$6.5 billion of its ~$9 billion in assets whilst playing around with natural gas futures - in the space of less than a week.]
-Papa Gino

Next

Return to Off Topic