ELECTION RESULTS!

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: ELECTION RESULTS!

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:37 am

Gino, you're a cynic :D

Nothing wrong with that, of course. But it helps to have optimistic goals, at least.

Personally, I could give a (*) about one party or another's chances in 2008. It's still 2 years away. And here's one of the very, very basic truisms of politics:

If the incumbent does a good job...s/he overwhelmingly tends to stay in office.

All I care about currently is sanity and maturity. I'm glad to see Adults back in control, and able to put the brakes on a willful, destructive (and very powerful) child.

If the GOP comes out of this experience determined to recreate itself as the GOP of yesteryear -- you know, the sensible, adult, moderate, humanistic party of the 50s, 60s, and 70s -- then I'm all for it.

If not, they don't.

But for the moment, it is indeed a net net. And that's a good thing, because I kind of live in the here-and-now ;)
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby Flavius Infernus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 am

Can you spell
S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E
?
Flavius Infernus

Postby -Brother Suspectus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:13 am

Now we can spell it... what does it mean?

Schadenfreude is a German word meaning "pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune." It is sometimes used as a loanword in English and other languages.

It derives from Schaden (damage, harm) and Freude (joy); Schaden derives from the Middle High German schade, from the Old High German scado, and freude comes from the Middle High German vreude, from the Old High German frewida, from frō, happy). In German, the word always carries a negative connotation. A distinction exists between "secret schadenfreude" (a private feeling) and "open schadenfreude" (Hohn).

Usually, it is believed that Schadenfreude has no direct English equivalent. For example, Harper Collins German-English Dictionary translates schadenfreude as "malicious glee or gloating." An apparent English equivalent is epicaricacy, derived from the Greek word επιχαιρεκακία, epichaerecacia. This word does not appear in most modern dictionaries, but does appear in Nathaniel Bailey's Universal Etymological English Dictionary (1727) under a slightly different spelling (epicharikaky), which gives its etymology as a compound of epi (upon), chara (joy), and kakon (evil).
-Brother Suspectus

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:51 am

Quote:
I don't like watch retards get tortured.

:rollin :lol :lol :rollin :lol :lol :rollin :lol
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -John Bianchi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:13 pm

Thank you.
-John Bianchi

Postby Bauhaus » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:06 am

All that I will say is that I'm quite happy.

I like the way and direction things are going.

Just 2 more years.

(The only thing worse than a Republican in the White House is Republican majorities in the Senate and House... 1/2 way there.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Previous

Return to Off Topic