Help the drunk get home... no, not Nidal.

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: Help the drunk get home... no, not Nidal.

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:59 am

You're right, every system is defeatable. The "but" comes in here... if it saves 4000 out of the 8000 lives, then it's worth it.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Papa Gino » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:21 am

Quote:
So is it fair to say you don't think it's a matter of money, but simply one of time?

It's both money and time, but the OEMs and the government are already spending the money. [One could always spend _more_, of course...] It's a question of a) getting the hardware and software setups engineered to a reasonable performance standard and b) making said design cost-effective so that it could be mass-marketed to middle and lower bracket consumers.

And that is what people - well-placed industry insiders, at that (e.g. Freescale management) - think will take 10-15 years. Roughly speaking.

Re: whether cracking down on drunk driving is worth it. It's a question of social and monetary costs vs. social and monetary benefits. Saving even one life is generally worth it so long as the associated expenditures are not so onerous as to impose some comparable social cost. Which, it may be argued, they do not, certainly not at this juncture.
-Papa Gino

Postby mauleed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:01 am

Well I don't think we should be letting people drive around drunk. I'm just lamenting that we spend alot of time and money cracking down on the guy with the .09 who didn't get in an accident and, compared to the damage they do, not alot of money on punishing people that actually get into that accident and hurt somebody.

But is 8000 people alot? And consider a good chunk of those is the drunk driver himself, which I don't think anyone, speaking broadly, should really be too worried about.
mauleed

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:05 am

Ed - I would rather see less money spent overall by improving prevention, thereby cutting the need for prosection and incarceration. There's no sane person who would rather see people in jail than see crime prevented.

Regarding the other line... Until that drunk driver is someone you know. Then it's all about seeing people being prevented from drunk driving in the first place.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mauleed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:15 am

Well, if there were a reasonable way to prevent people from drunk driving, like an auto-pilot, I'd be all behind it. That's money well spent.

But as Gene says, that's 10-15 years off at best. So in the meantime people will be driving drunk, and in very significant numbers.

As I said before, anything after two drinks and I'm calling a cab, so I certainly don't want to be on the roads with any drunks. I just don't think much of what we do now has much of a chance of saving me from getting hit by that drunk. We go from having a 0.001 chance of getting killed by a drunk to a 0.00066 or something like that (all numbers completely fabricated for effect).

I just suspect all of this anti-drunk driving hoopla you see is just a political talking point and another irrelevant issue to distract us from the real important issues, like the oil companies robbing us blind. I put it in the same category as abortion, gun control, and gay marriage: hotbutton issues to keep us occupied and delude us into thinking our opinion matters.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 am

Quote:
We go from having a 0.001 chance of getting killed by a drunk to a 0.00066 or something like that (all numbers completely fabricated for effect).
I'll take any reduction in those odds that I can get.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:18 am

Well again, would having stricter punishment instead of very well advertised enforcement not have the same or better effect?
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:22 am

Have both!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:32 am

Sounds awefully wasteful to my libertarian-esque ears.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:23 am

It's all wasteful, dude. At least it's being wasted on keeping me alive. Which is good. When it's being wasted giving Hillary matching campaign funds to a senate race she cannot possibly lose so she can have an $80,000 press dinner at Tavern-On-The-Green, I get upset.
VectorAWX3

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic