Battlestar Gallatica

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Battlestar Gallatica

Postby Bauhaus » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm

So, what do we think of the premier?

Some things I like, somethings I'm not sure about, somethings I don't.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Re: Battlestar Gallatica

Postby elrodogg » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 pm

I hate seeing real life politics so directly injected into my favorite tv shows. Everything apart from the direct Iraq parallels I greatly enjoyed.

****Spoilers/Sort of*****

The Starbuck plot spin is interesting. We always knew they were going to come back to that. I don't recall her "blowing up the farm", i remember her unplugging some stuff, but not blowing it up. She shoulda killed the kid out of principle that it was part cylon.

The chief moving up in the pecking order of the show... not so much. Don't really care for him as a charachter. I do like Starbuck's husband (the football palyer or something) playing a bigger part. He's "A ok" in my book.

The actor that plays Gaius Balter is freakin amazing. Tell me he hasn't done a bang-up job of making one of the most hate-able charachters in a long time. Though it'd be nice to see him suck it up and just shoot himself, especially after ordering Roslin and his old buddy who got him elected's deaths.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:05 pm

**** may be spoilers ****

I take an entirely different look at this.

The Iraq stuff was a bit between the eyes but I like that the good guys are the Iraqis and the bad guys are the US forces occupying the country.
This is the kind of stuff that makes great drama. I love real life politics in my fovorite shows. I like to be challenged and have my beliefs challenged. I was even saying to Betsy that I can imagine the meeting the creative team had ... guy 1 " isn't that a bit too between the eyes?" Guy 2, "yeah, but there are those who won't believe we are saying what we're saying, so we'd better be very clear."

I like the Chief, I like all the characters, each for different reasons. I think most of the characters are so well written. They have so many facets and complexities. I hate Baltar and yet I am now feeling some sympathy for him. Yeah, that actor is fantastic !! Actually Six is surprisingly good too. And I love all the stuff they do with the different versions of the various Cylons.

And I love the circle with Boomer.

Kara is being majorly fucked with. The Mind games they are playing on her are so severe I don't know if she will ever recover.

And that is the other thing about the show I love ... you don't really know if they will kill someone or irrevocably change something you take for granted.

Awesome, awesome, awesome show.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:09 am

I for one did not really dig the direction of this season. It's not that I disliked the spirit of the politics themselves, but that they were implemented in such a heavy-handed way. It was SOOOO on the nose. I also found a lot of the dialogue to be very poorly implemented. Also: the whole thing with Lee was also poorly implemented. Four months and he's a hate-worthy wreck? Boooo! Also, despite the makeup attemps, it still looked contrived, and his attempt to imitate a fat person waddle just looks silly.

I hated the new direction with Starbuck. Can she really have been turned, like through Stockholm Syndrome, in what, like, 4 months? As if!!! If it's true, her character sucks.

Ronen, how can you like Jock Boy better than Tyrrell? Man, he's the most two-dimensional character so far!!!

Baltar has got to be THE prime role for any actor I've seen in a damn long time. He gets to exhibit EVERY emotion in the book, and have a beautiful woman draped over him!!!

My favourite part so far with this was Colonel Ty. I love his crotchety old walking stick man thing. Also, I think some of the "collaborators" subplot has potential for development, despite the very heavy-handed Nazi Concentration camp bit.

T.
-Thrax

Postby elrodogg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:35 am

Quote:
how can you like Jock Boy better than Tyrrell?

Easy, he's the only person to ever criticise Adama. That one line about Adama leaving him behind and yada yada yada, that was enough for me.

The starbuck bit I really like. The baby is gonna mess her up, but she should have killed it on principal. Stabbed it with the same tuning fork she killed the cylon with.

Colonel Ty has moved up in my book. Too bad for him his wife's loves the quantum leaping vibrating cylon cock.
:smokin
elrodogg

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:35 am

Thrax: it's brainwashing, a SciFi plot device with a long history.

And four months or so isn't THAT short a time. Even if you're not a believer in the effectiveness of contemporary brain-washing techniques, the historical evidence (korean war, etc) indicates that several months is plenty time to break someone
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby Bauhaus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:55 am

I agree with you all, for the most part.

My biggest problem has to do with the overall idea behind an armed rebellion. But the show takes it full circle (or at least it seems to be setting it up).

To start, the main problem being that the Cylons (other than our two or three "humanized" versions) could give a damn about the whole human race. Some may be feeling a little guilty about having murdered millions but it wont take much to get rid of the few thousand remaining. (Dean Stockwell anyone? Hes nearly as good as Baltar.)

So its one thing to disrupt a group with a conscience (albeit a potentially fanatical one such as that exists between jihadists and capitalists) but the feelings of a bunch of toasters seems a bit presumptive i.e., that they would actually care enough to go away aka the Americans in the Middle East.

The whole "lets blow humans up" seems a bit far fetched as a result.

Better for me was the blowing up of facilities by our two desperados while the Colonel was sitting on a cold floor with his eye hanging out. (Did I miss something? When did his eye get pocked out? On TV or during the hiatus?)

But, the full circle is that it seems that blowing people up is what the argument is all about. The "discussion" going on between the Colonel, the ex-President and his crew seems to be the direction the show will take (for awhile, at least.) This, I find, more interesting. What will they decide? If I had been the President I might have ordered a hit on the Colonel, once he had blown up the police (or the women in the power plant.) Also, who will win out, those joining the Police or those in the resistance? Will some humans be left behind or is it all for one. I cant see Adama leaving anyone, including Baltar behind.

I also feel like I missed something with Starbuck. Who the hell is this guy? Did we know him before? (I sure dont remember him.) And she can certainly be messed up quickly. Patty Hearst was spouting the rhetoric of the SLA after only two weeks of captivity and robbing the Hybernia Bank at 2 months. (The kid should have been part of their happy little family from the start. I think it would have made more sense and put a nice little twist on killing her "husband".)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby deFl0 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:56 am

But science fiction is a social criticism which uses social extremes or paranormal situations to explorer ideals that are inherantly human... Right?

BTW - I've never watched this show but I made a deal that I have to watch the mini series and the first two seasons...

I hope it's good.
deFl0

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:57 am

History behind the covention or not, I'm still disappointed, since Starbuck seems like the last person on whom it would be effective. Meh. Whatever. I'm still going to watch the show!

T
-Thrax

Postby elrodogg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:06 am

Dave - colonel ty lost his eye during the tv haitus.

The guy starbuck is with (i believe) is the cylon from the first space station in the pilot (just cleaned up a bit). Am I right?

I do think Baltar will be saved, so they can execute him on Galactica (here's to hoping right?).
elrodogg

Next

Return to Off Topic