Battlestar Gallatica

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: Battlestar Gallatica

Postby -Thrax » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:41 am

We know that.

That's the problem: what do they mean by "indefinitely"? If they mean, "forever", then, well, that's just retarded. I doubt it's that. But they haven't even mentioned it on the show since they found the Tomb!!! It was like, "hey, we did that, cool", then a bunch of stuff happened and they forgot about it.

T
-Thrax

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:41 pm

They did mention it plenty although in passing since finding the tomb
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby mauleed » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:42 pm

I think it jumped the shark.

As Dave said, it's so ridiculous that the Cylons would waste their time in this scenario that I found watching it painful. Zero suspension of disbelief for me.

They have no realistic motivation to be on new caprica. If they'd just shown them to have started up new cross-breeding farms, then it would make sense, but right now they've reduced the cylons to a bunch infighting megalomaniacs who are there simply to tortue the humans and have a playing field for their cylon political games.

And I can't imagine they aren't smart enough to realize that if they really wanted to dominate the humans they wouldn't have them living in tents, filthy and starving. They'd have them all on 40 acre estates with their own personal toaster butler with autosuck. Give me a life of luxury and I'm definitely not blowing myself up.

And it's going to be even more ridiculous when the galactica frees them. The cylons know that the galactica is going to show up again at some point, so the idea that there aren't 47 base-starts and a zillion raiders sitting around ready to cripple human military capacity is unbelievable. Does the cylon military have something better to do? They guarding valuable asteroids somewhere?

At least before it was believable that the cylons couldn't bring overwelming might against the humans because they never knew where we were. Now they know where we'll be and still can't beat us? The sci-fi plot device of the incompetent crew (the stormtrooper accuracy syndrome) is so tired I'll probably stop watching the show if they resort to it.
mauleed

Postby elrodogg » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:52 pm

:lol

Ed - you really need to switch to decaf. It's a tv show! It wouldn't make good tv if they did wipe out the human race.

It shows the cylons (at least a bunch of them) want to make nice with the humans. Don't think of the cylons as evil cold calculating with hearts made of cold steel, but rather more like fluffy energizer bunnies on the inside.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby savaughn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Ed, I think you're way off base.

Some of the Cylons are there because they are trying to co-exist.

The other are there because they know that sitting on New Caprica will give them Gallactica. And dead bait isn't really worth anything, now is it?
savaughn

Postby -Thrax » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:37 pm

I totally agree with Ed.

The whole "coersion through violent repression" seems like the ass-end way to go about co-opting these people. The Cylons have it within their means to make them obedient slaves through many other means. They KNOW what will come of this occupation -- so why aren't they either bringing them into the fold, or just killing them? Because of a "Cylon Rebellion", featuring sympathy for humanity? Is this all just to go about showing that Cylons are just as humans as the humans are? Booooo-riiiing. :rolleyes It's the only "moral" I can see coming out of this. If that's the case, Asimov is spinning in his grave for fear that innovation in sci-fi themes is impossible.

Before, I could buy the fact that the only thing the humans had going for them was stealth and luck -- running, running, hiding, striking occasionally from the shadows, running again. It was intense! Now, we have to stretch even our most far-out sci-fi credibility to accomodate a radical (and in many cases, baffling) change in character in both humans and Cylons.

I'm totally going to continue watching the series. But I was very disappointed in this opening.

T
-Thrax

Postby Bauhaus » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Well, I too agree with Ed, but I'm hoping that there is something going on (and I feel I have reason to hope.)

There's no more reason for the Cylons to be in New Caprica then there's reason for us being in the third world (where there's no oil.) Seriously, what would we do in Defar (sp?)? Another Somalia?

But, I do think that there's the Guilty Consciounce Cylons, the downright Evil Master Plan Cylons, the Cylons Are Better Than Human Cylons and the Half Human/Half Cylon Cylons.

The GCC are somewhat interesting particularly because they're a bunch of chicks who've been "penetrated" by the humans somehow paying acknowledgement to the power of the male prick.

The EMPC's (Dean Stockwell) are the most interesting to me because they seem to have a master plan somewhat similar to that of George Bush.

The CABTHC's seem of least interest to me. They're being portrayed as if they're evil, when they really should just not give a shit. Most of the ones around should be in this group.

The HHHCC's I'm hoping will somehow save the show getting them back into their spaceships and back to getting where they're supposed to be getting too. I just don't know if I can wait 15 years for them to be of age where they'd actually be interesting.

By the way, i wonder what would have happened if instead of only a year on New Caprica, it had been 15 and there were lots of kids running around, settlements, etc. The tent city thing just doesn't work for me either.

(I like all the mind games though. It's why I keep watching Lost too.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby mauleed » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:19 am

Ronen: screw decaf!!!!! :evil :evil :evil

The poorly disguised attempt to parallel the present Iraq situation turned this from an interesting, unique series into more needless political commentary. And it isn't even interesting, unique, or well made politicial commentary.

The cylons have no need to oppress the humans to use them as bait. They merely need to sit in orbit, or keep us penned in and take away our weapons.

No, the bottom line is that the writers knew where they wanted to go (to show off their liberal leanings and speak out against all things republican), and just did a poor job of getting there.

I hope it gets better, but the bottom line is that the writing now sucks. It's complete hack work.

Enjoy, as I can already tell this will be the last season.
mauleed

Postby -Thrax » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:14 am

From every rumour I've heard, it IS the last season, although what that has to do with the writing, I'm not sure.

For what it's worth, I agree with the sentiment of the show's creators -- I think it's INTERESTING to show the point of view of suicide bombers, for example -- but I agree that the implementation is far, far below the standards set by previous seasons.

I think the show has always offered political commentary. But it's always been at a smaller scale -- between characters. So that when Roslyn cheats in the election, you clearly get a hack at Bush's winning of the first election...but it's a subdued comment, conveyed through interpersonal dialogue and interaction. It was never didactic.

And that, to me, is the key difference here. The show has taken on a strangely preachy tone. I think the political sentiments have been VERY consistent throughout the series. It's always been politically daring. The question now is tone and implementation, which to me are really falling flat.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -Dresnar » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:38 am

Honestly the mini series rocked, the first season rocked. What the hell happened after that?? I've never seen anything turn from great to total crap so quickly. It's like they fired every producer, writer, director from the first season and replaced them with the staff from a failing soap opera.

Pete, watch the mini series and the first season. They were freekin awesome. Watch the second season to work out your interest in ever seeing the show again.
-Dresnar

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic