Battlestar Gallatica

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: Battlestar Gallatica

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:50 am

Quote:
And that, to me, is the key difference here. The show has taken on a strangely preachy tone. I think the political sentiments have been VERY consistent throughout the series. It's always been politically daring. The question now is tone and implementation, which to me are really falling flat.

I totally agree. I feel the season opener was somewhat forced but I think and hope that they will get back to teh less heavyhanded treatment of the material.

I also think the cylons are children emotionally and don't really understand humanity fully yet. This might all be another mind fuck to se how the guinea pigs react
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Thrax » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:08 pm

All I'm saying is that there better be some "Overlord" Cylon who is allowing the Human-Cylons to be acting like this, and that this is all part of his plan (all shows always have SOMEONE who is pulling the strings, right?), and that deep down he's a heartless, emotionally-empty robot overlord who is bent on universal annihilation. :evil

Quote:
Watch the second season to work out your interest in ever seeing the show again.

I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I thought the second season was fantastic. A perfect coninuation of the first. Don't know where you're coming from on this one.

T
-Thrax

Postby mauleed » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:19 am

As an aside, I really like the performance and writing for the Colonel and his wife. He's one cold bastard now, and his character arc is not only very interesting, but very believable.

And I really like that his wife, while a known filthy slut, obviously loves him enough to do anything to save him.
mauleed

Postby -Dresnar » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 am

The second season is when it all went downhill for me. I loved the first. The Cylons used every trick in the book against the humans. Super hot chip in head robot attacking Baltar emotionally using religion, love, sex, fear, pitty, you name it. She broke him more times than there were 1st season epsodes. Every time she did I loved it. All that political intrigue, the Pres. and Adama's power struggle costing lives, the terrorist elected leader, all those self interested power struggles nearly getting the entire fleet wiped out time and again. All the humans were just puppets on a string constantly coming to the brink of destruction due to their animalistic flaws. Frikin great TV.

The second season is when the robots started to show genuine emotion. Bleh. Religious robots, robots in love, power mad robots, hugs and kisses robots. President really was the oracle rather than just using the myth to gain power. Cylon/human children to get closer to the creator. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

The mini series and the first season earn a 10 out of 10, after that its a quick downhill slide. I wonder, and maybe someone knows, if there was a change in the creative staff after the first season?
-Dresnar

Postby -Thrax » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:32 am

Yeah, Colonel Ty is just wicked now. His "Old Man of the Sea", complete with eyepatch and walking stick, is the only character transformation that I believe. And I like the weird relationship he and his wife have -- it's clearly very very complicated, but they never try to wrap it up with some kind of twee response.

T
-Thrax

Postby -Thrax » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 pm

I held out hopes that the next (3rd) episode would improve things. It did not:

1. Running out of ideas? What was the deal with the first 8 minutes of the show? They just re-used material from the previous two shows! And not in the usual "previously, on Battlestar Galactica" format. No, it was an extended recap. Don't ask why it was more important here than elsewhere. And then, when they actually got INTO the show, they repeated a lot of stuff too. So finally, 10 minutes in, we're getting new material. Great! Sure, we got "different perspectives", but I still thought it was cheap.

2. ADD direction. Starbuck got what, 2 minutes? And then we're on to something else! Whee! Why have her at all?!

3. All the man-love. Every one of the past three shows has featured Adama and Apollo hugging and crying and making up, to the soft wails of Irish pipes in the background. Enough already, Braveheart! Get on with the mission!

4. Robo-Love. Seriously. If the whole schtick of this season is going to be robots questing to "find true love", I'm going to stop watching right now. Seriously.

Redeeming Factors: Once again, the only redeeming factors were Colonel Ty and Ellen. I really like their repartee. I also liked the freaky Oracle woman, she was amusing, except for her spouting more "Cylon-Love" crap. Lucy Lawless is perhaps the best of the Cylon (hotness aside) -- she's got the "cold heartless killer" thing down pat, and she's such a physically commanding presence. But they're ruining her with the "love" crap. I hope they twist it into something weird, and make her into a religious zealot, because I'll be heartbroken if they make her into another Six.

T
-Thrax

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:37 pm

Quote:
the bottom line is that the writers knew where they wanted to go (to show off their liberal leanings and speak out against all things republican), and just did a poor job of getting there.

Ed, they were already there throughout the show ... it was just less obvious. See, you didn't notice which says to me there's a little Liberal in you just waiting to burst out !! :rollin (and just because one has some liberal viewpoints that doesn't translate to "hate all things Republican" ya know. There you go again with the overgeneralizations - you republicans are all alike :rolleyes :p

Seriously, I am waiting to see with hope. It's hard to imagine writting that has been solid (with a few 2nd season episodes that were flat) falling this hard and this fast.

As far as robots having feelings and all .. common theme of Science Fiction is what does it mean to be human? And that's what they are and have been exploring.

Lucy Lawless is hot !! What's wrong with you man? (And it's nice to see her without bangs .. I hated those bangs in Xena). The 3 cylon women are all hot in a different way. (I actually like Dirty Blonde Six better than Platinum Six).
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby mauleed » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:51 pm

Lucy Lawless is hot. No argument there.

But I'm no Republican. If I didn't think voting was a complete waste of time I'd vote Libertarian. In fact I believe Republicans are just as evil as Democrats.

I only tend to side with the Republicans when it comes to matters of foreign policy, where my personal philosophy is "if violence isn't solving our problems, it's because we aren't using enough."

I hope the show picks up too, if only because the future Mrs. forces me to watch it.
mauleed

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Ah Ed, you were supposed to just laugh !!
Amazonwarlord

Postby elrodogg » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Totally did not realize Xena was a cylon. In my defense, I can't be bothered to learn most tv actors/acresses' names. That and she looks completely different as a blondn than as a brunette. :|

(speaking of which, Leah, when are you going redhead? :lol )

Seriously, though. You have to give the show a chance to get going for this season. Each season has been pretty different, they're just setting the stage for the third season. I've been digging this third season so far, they've done nothing but continue to set the stage for upcoming episodes.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic