My disdain for studio execs grows ever larger...

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

My disdain for studio execs grows ever larger...

Postby -Papa Gino » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:16 pm

BANGKOK, Thailand - "Rambo" is preparing to return from retirement in Thailand early next year, and Oscar-winning actor Denzel Washington will also come here next month to play a drug lord in the upcoming film "American Gangster," a Thai film official said Thursday.

Sylvester Stallone will spend several weeks in Thailand early next year, shooting "Rambo IV: In the Serpent's Eye" in the country's lush, mountainous northern provinces, said Wanasiri Morakul, director of the Thailand Film Office.

In the latest sequel, John Rambo is pulled out of retirement in Bangkok to help find missionary aid workers who disappear as they're delivering supplies to ethnic minorities in neighboring Myanmar.

About 70 to 80 percent of the movie will be shot in Thailand in Bangkok and the northern provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai earning Thailand more than 200 million baht (US$5 million, euro4 million), Wanasiri told The Associated Press by telephone.

She said that after a committee read the "Rambo" script, they gave the green light for the shoot in Thailand, but voiced concern that violence in the movie could reflect badly on ethnic minorities on the Thai-Myanmar border.

"Some scenes might be a little bit violent, so we asked them not to make it too violent because if we say that the ethnic minorities are violent, it might be inappropriate," she said. "We did not forbid them we just asked them to be careful."

She also wanted the filmmakers to assure villagers and environmentalists that any bombing scenes "in that 'Rambo' style" would not harm the environment.

Activists were up in arms over the "The Beach," shot in 2000 and starring Leonardo DiCaprio, complaining a beach in a Thai national park was damaged during the shooting. The filmmakers denied it.

Washington will come to Thailand Nov. 8-13 to play Harlem
-Papa Gino

Re: My disdain for studio execs grows ever larger...

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:35 pm

Wait... does this come out before or after Rocky? :lol Apparently, Sly Stallone is a master of new concepts. (but don't lie.. you'll all see them)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby warmongerclub » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:57 pm

Dude's just collecting fat-ass paychecks. Can't blame him. Since the only "new" idea to come out of Stallone was the ill-conceived "Sly" magazine, I say he stick with tried and true.

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby -Papa Gino » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:07 pm

For the record:

1. I will watch Rocky, probably on DVD, in order to see how well or badly they've done the boxing sequences.

2. I will not watch Rambo IV, ever. The one exception involves the prospect of heterosexual intercourse, in which case I will not be focusing on the movie regardless.

3. My issue is not with Sly, who is free to make money however he chooses, but with gutless studio execs who continue to greenlight the same drivel - half the time after their numbers guys explain to them why said drivel will fail - purely because betting on a project with any degree of originality or actual quality content entails, in their mind, taking on an unacceptable career risk. This, in turn, is objectionable both from the standpoint of generating returns (some studios would really be better off simply investing all their budget into Treasury securities), and in terms of the overall quality of the audio-visual entertainment being presented to a U.S.-based consumer, i.e. me.
-Papa Gino

Postby Bauhaus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:02 am

I'm not sure what you're upset about.

Rambo IV could be fun but I doubt they'll do it right. The original concept was okay. Vietnam Vet goes to small town resolves conflict with local rednecks. What's not to love?

Denzel in American Gangster has been filming in the city for the past couple of months. Not sure what segment is being filmed in Thailand but it's a very small part. The film is hugh!

The Rocky films are still some of the biggest films every (I have no clue why.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:17 am

Dave, "Rocky" is easy to explain:

Rocky (I) won an Oscar because it really is that good. Plus it was written right at the peak of Ali's career. Creed is clearly Ali. Rocky is the Great White Hope. Frikkin' box office GOLD.

Rocky II was a sequel to a great movie. It's not bad, but it's B-grade at best. But as a sequel, it made big bucks.

Rocky III was 50% Mr. T., and 50% silly fun. The studio also promoted the hell out of this one, including commissioning the "Eye of the Tiger" theme song and that famous (and originally quite controversial) 'boxer' statue in Philadelphia. Mr T also played the Evil Black Boxer to a "T" (:D ) and whether you think that boxer was the pre-Foreman Grill George Foreman, or a young Mike Tyson, is up for debate. At any rate, this is a "B" movie with a surprisingly decent script, which may explain at least in part why it has held up for so long. (Granted, it's the "sports movie" genre, which is pretty formulaic, so that could be part of it)

Rocky IV was about the Cold War. Er, remember that thing? :) It came out in '85 at the height of the Cold War. Reagan and Gorby were only JUST starting to tinker with glastnost and perestroika and all those words that in a few years would be in common use throughout American politics. But when Rocky IV came out, it was a pure pro-US propaganda film. It's held up the worst of all the movies, arguably even worse than V, and that's saying something. But at the time, it made gobs and gobs and gobs of money.

Rocky V was a mistake. It shouldn't have been green-lighted. It came out in '90, had a feeble and overly complicated script, an uncharismatic young protagonist -- no wait, he's the antagonist now! -- and there was a constant stink of deus ex machina everywhere. No surprise, it did poorly at the box office (not a total tank, but nothing spectacular). And there hasn't been a Rocky movie for fifteen years
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby mauleed » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:36 am

So Gene, suppose some long lost uncle dies and leaves you a movie studio, how would you run it?

(that's a genuine question, no sarcasm intended to be implied).
mauleed

Postby Bauhaus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:44 am

Oh, I know lots about Rocky. That's not really what I was talking about. When I worked in films, my boss loved Rocky III - it was his favorite movie I think.

I'm talking about not really being "in touch" with the rest of America (you know, getting all googly over the Amerian Flag, Vietnam Vets, the War in Iraq, torturing terrorists, Nidal, etc.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:51 am

:lol Dave, if you lived my life, you'd be out-of-touch with reality as well. It's friggin INSANE!!!!! :hat
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:00 am

Execs greenlight CASH

If drivel brings huge profits

Who is to blame, now?
Emperors Reckoning

Next

Return to Off Topic