White boy from the OC -- charged with treason

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

White boy from the OC -- charged with treason

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:35 am

News article here:

www.ocregister.com/ocregi...310287.php

Short version: White boy named Adam Gadahn has been charged in absentia with treason. The last American charged with treason was a Japanese-American, charged for war crimes during WW2.

Treason is the ONLY crime specifically addressed in the Constitution of the US. It is extremely difficult to prosecute because it is intentionally defined very narrowly and strictly.

(Most 'treason' trials in the US, including almost all the post-9/11 'terror suspects' that have reached trial, have been charged for other things -- the article states that they've usually been hit with Espionage charges).

Adam Gadahn is the "Tokyo Rose" of Al-Qaida. He's appeared on Al-Qaida propaganda videos, and appeared with al-Zawahiri (Al-Qaida #2 man).

Of course, "Tokyo Rose" (Ikuko Toguri d'Aquino) was convicted of treason, too -- but later pardoned when it was shown that there was no credible evidence that she had been a willing participant, or even "Tokyo Rose" at all.

The evidence against Adam looks pretty strong, but it still comes down to the question of whether or not this metaphorical "War against Terror" counts as an actual war or not.

At any rate -- here's another "terror suspect"

Not Arab. He's a California white boy. If you're interested in that sort of thing, of Jewish heritage, no less.
Not a foreigner. He's an American, born & raised, and converted and moved to Pakistan as an adult.

Personally I'd like to put the delusional moron on trial. But technically, the Pres has the power to lock him up in a torture chamber and throw away the key. No matter how guilty ol' Adam might look, I don't like me that kind of power all in the hands of one person
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Re: White boy from the OC -- charged with treason

Postby mauleed » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:06 am

Is he still a US citizen?

If not, I don't care what they do to him. But if he is, he should be afforded every bit of due process due him.
mauleed

Postby -Papa Gino » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:07 am

Interestingly enough, there hasn't yet been a peep about this out of either the DOJ or the White House. Which raises the question of why bother with the indictment when S3930 is already on the books (that's the Military Commissions Act of 2006, for those interested). [That was partly a rhetorical question...]

Blah. I just can't contain myself in anticipation of this turning into a Law & Order plotline.

Separately, here's the technical definition of Treason as per the U.S. Constitution:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

From a legal perspective, it's hard to see what a hypothetical Law & Order defense attorney would argue. Maybe 1st Amendment - but then you run into the Hate Speech precedent (I can picture Sam Waterston thundering away even now...). Parse the broadcasts and argue that the guy really did nothing other than repeat known facts (along the lines of "U.S. is evil")?

Even further off-topic - should any of the pundits in the media or in DC start discussing this, what are the chances that even one of the more prominent ones tries to use it as fuel for a coherent argument against profiling? If I had to bet the family ranch, I'd say slim to none. [To those who support "terror" profiling all the way - it does not and has never worked on a systemic scale. For obvious reasons. If you make the criteria too broad, as is currently the case with U.S. Customs, you miss everything. If you define a specific set of characteristics - e.g. Arab males between 15 and 35 - the "enemy" quickly switches to a different set of people. See the FLN in Algiers and the Chechen bombings in Moscow - and even 7/7 in London - for examples thereof. The only "profiling" that does work is more or less what the Israelis use in malls & such, watching non-verbal cues such as excessive nervousness, etc.]
-Papa Gino

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:10 am

Well, if there was ever a guy you could throw in jail without a trial, it would be this guy. But I'm curious as to how they'd actually treat him should they catch him alive. I'm thinking they would certainly put him on trial. Otherwise, what's the point of taking out an indictment?

By the way, odds are that if they find this guy, he'll go out in a firefight, so don't anybody hold your breath.

Stupid fucker. See why EVERYONE needs to get laid on a regular basis? And he lived in California! Chicks in California are aiight!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:57 am

I've seen his pic before. I agree with Nidal... this putz deserves to be locked up
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Return to Off Topic