Just saw the trailer for "300"...

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Just saw the trailer for "300"...

Postby -Papa Gino » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:08 pm

movies.yahoo.com/feature/300.html

Recognizing that the film will likely be ~0.5% accurate with respect to the actual historical events and ~99.5% hype, bombast, banalities, distortions and outright inventions - and that my personal taste in movies tends to oscilate wildly beyond the norm - something about the prospect of considerable on-screen violence (and not of the "Saw" kind) and of the main characters, well, doing what they did historically, makes me actually look forward to this film. And - to contrast it with "Troy" & "Alexander" - there don't seem to be any A-list stars involved. And the thing will probably have good production values and a number of ideas about Empire/Chaos army themes...

March 2007, baby.
-Papa Gino

Re: Just saw the trailer for "300"...

Postby mauleed » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:59 pm

I'm already trying to figure out how to make an army of greeks. That trailer looks awesome.
mauleed

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Holy fuck! :eek That, sir, is a trailer.

Gerard Butler may not be A-list, but I thought he was very good in Beowulf and Grendel. I don't know why that last film was panned -- I thought it was really great. Dude's typecast in some of the coolest possible roles that could exist. Beowulf AND Leonidas? Yes please! :D

T
-Thrax

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:48 pm

In my excitement, I've posted a brief talk about this on The Ratio, the Toronto art-music-film blog collective. Props to Gene for the tip!

theratio.org/bl/

T
-Thrax

Postby elrodogg » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:53 pm

Yeah, the trailer was one of the previews for departed. Looks good to me.:D
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Papa Gino » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:58 pm

Don't forget Atilla and the Phantom (of the Opera).

I haven't seen too much of him, actually, but I think the perception of him in Hollywood is still as "not a headliner". The fact that his films range all over the spectrum, and that a majority of them are foreign-made, sort of underscores it. Maybe "300" will finally put him over, though I must say they're releasing it in a fairly quiet season (so it will be rather more difficult for it to get the same caliber of numbers as the stuff you see in May-July).

Regardless, here's a link to some Foundry Greek 28mm figs:

www.thewarstore.com/found...reeks.html

Works out to $1.60-$2.025 per infantry figure or $3.75-$5.40 per horseman (depending on whether you buy the big sets or the smaller blisters). By comparison, GW's plastic Empire infantry is currently $1.75-$2.1875 per (the higher number is for the Handgunners/Spearmen set), whilst plastic knights are $4.375 per. And their shipping rates tend to be higher.

Game-wise, although the new Empire book is still some ways off, even with just the Foundry stuff (i.e. excluding all the other Greek manufacturers), I see figs suitable for Spearmen, Swordsmen, Militia, Archers/Hunters, Elite Infantry (especially if you add figs from the Heroes set), and whatever characters you want (again, with the Heroes set). Plus medium/heavy cavalry. Ok, you lack the exotic toys, but all the basics seem to be there...
-Papa Gino

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:05 pm

Didn't someone do a Spartan-themed Space Marine army about 3-4 years ago? I remember a gold or yellow-color scheme, with red and white highlights. It was really pretty, sweet conversions.

T
-Thrax

Postby -Papa Gino » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:26 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I can't for the life of me recall who was the culprit or what the context was. I do recall it being in a WD...

...separately, it should be interesting (if nothing else) to see how they manage to combine the notions of "defending democracy" and the Spartan regime. Never mind the whole "must take a male lover at 16" bit. I'm not even mentioning slavery.
-Papa Gino

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:40 pm

I'm not expecting that the nuances of Spartan democracy will be much tested, nor the differences between Spartan and Athenian democracies. These questions, like the slavery, like the homosexual sex, will in all likelihood be glossed over.

Actually, to give Alexander the credit where it is due, I thought it was very brave to show what they did with his bisexual love life. Of course, it would have been even more brave to have shown his boy-slave or Hephaistion (Jared Leto) in more sexual scenarios, as they did with Rosario Dawson, and as we know Alexander actually did in real life. Maybe this film will build on what Stone did, though given the gist 300 thus far, I doubt it.

T
-Thrax

Postby mauleed » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:51 pm

Well, while I'm keen on historical accuracy, and I'm anything but a homophobe, I'd be happier if they just glossed over any man-boy love. But that's just me.

Gene: The foundry figs aren't a horrible deal, but I've got to see what old glory has. Those guys practically give the minis away.
mauleed

Next

Return to Off Topic