WoW meets South Park

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

WoW meets South Park

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 pm

if you missed the episode it's on again tonight or you can watch it herecriticisms that the episode has been gettin
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Re: WoW meets South Park

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Again, Hardcore gamers are losers ... LOL
What jerks .. when I saw the episode I predicted such criticisms would abound.

And of course .. missing the forest for the trees.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -Papa Gino » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:58 pm

But Leah, you don't understand - he couldn't give him the sword that was already equipped...don't you see?!! That is the whole point of the story!..

Seriously, this episode is probably where MMORPG & gamer satire reaches enough critical mass to go semi-mainstream. Which is a good thing, in my opinion (having done a fair amount of design/testing work on MUDs and Earth & Beyond back in the day, and having observed literally every kind of MMORPG activity in person).

I can't wait for someone like South Park to bring up the Ebay item market that's been thriving ever since Diablo II and the first Everquest. That's where the thing truly morphs into an addictive disorder in the clinical sense of the term.
-Papa Gino

Postby savaughn » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:43 am

I happen to love both sides.

Yes, I sat there and found myself thinking "why would you use Mocking Blow in a PvP fight" and similar kinds of things throughout the episode. It obviously wasn't written by addicts.

At the same time, that was a REALLY funny episode. When Kyle screamed out "DAD GET OFF OUR TEAMSPEAK CHANNEL" I totally lost it. And his dad actually making the noises of dying over voice chat was hysterical.

It's like when they show IP addresses in movies like 263.781.372.001... you just kind of have let that bit slide.
savaughn

Postby Amazonwarlord » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:03 am

Oh yeah .. lot's of stupid things in the show that don't happen in game .. like trueshot aura lasts for 30 min and there's no need for the impecable timing. You can add to the list .. countless "mistakes" whichwere probably even been intentional (if that's what you mean by "he can't give him the sword, that's the point" I agree with you) just to get that reaction from the addicts who are too obsessed to see they are being made fun of. They'll walk away saying .. that was stupid ...Trey and Matt know nothing about this game .... It was pointless. South PArk is one of the greatest satires that exists today that I am aware of
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -dumbuket » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:20 am

Gosh, and I used to feel like a loser for playing with toy soldiers...

There's apparently a guy out there doing full on research on the online gaming community. I actually heard about this like two days ago, but here's the website. It's sort of a social psych/anthro interdisciplinary mixed bag, but it shows the kind of cross-section of people that apparently play these games. Apologies if this has been posted already.

www.nickyee.com/daedalus/

I've always been a fan of southpark. This episode might not have been their most profound, but it's certainly one of the more interesting to watch.
-dumbuket

Postby slann » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 am

All I have to say is , "mom get the bucket" .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Return to Off Topic