Company Of Heroes

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Company Of Heroes

Postby Masterofmelee » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:59 am

Anyone play this PC RTS yet.

I think its awesome. Although Ive only played 6 opponents thus far, I have encountered various techniques and startegys that work.

I am playing with the Airborne type army because it just seems to call to me. Been tricky so far against the computer, but once I can waste the SPU I will unleash it on my opponents.
Masterofmelee

Re: Company Of Heroes

Postby Slyde » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 am

I love it, which makes sense considering I love Dawn of War and the similarities are everywhere. Airborne is great for the reinforcement alone, but I prefer the infantry tree myself. Howitzers are just too much fun. Dont feel bad about having some difficulty from the computer, it is a little harder on the normal setting than most RTS's I have played i the past.

If for nothing else, buy this game so that Relic has the funds to make Dawn of War 2. :D
Slyde

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:29 pm

I just downloaded the demo. I'll install and try it out tonight, but it looks awesome! (If you don't know, I'm an RTS freak.) If I like it, I'd certainly be willing to play (although the DoW expansion is due out very very soon...) :D
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:06 pm

Quote:
I love Dawn of War and the similarities are everywhere.

That's because it's made by the same company... :b

T
-Thrax

Postby Slyde » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:29 am

Uh...duh...hence me suggesting buying it so Relic can make Dawn of War 2. :p

BTW, the demo actually has all the units in the game, so you will know exactly what its like to play, unlike say the Dark crusade demo.
Slyde

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:32 pm

Alright.. so I installed and played this thing a bit. Very nice. But I have a couple of problems with it.

First off, it's SOOOO damn realistic! Usually, it's a good thing. But when you're guys are yelling "Take that, you fucking Kraut" and the like, it starts to border on slightly bad taste, in my book. Yes, I know it's historically accurate. Maybe it's just me, but when I play "kill em" games, I don't REALLY want to get into the heads of people really killing each other. Maybe that's why I like 40K and fantasy.

Anyway, I can get past that bit (even if I'm not a huge fan). As far as the gameplay, it's certainly very interesting and challenging. I'm not yet quite sure how everything works. I've had problems organizing my troops, and picking the right mix to win the mission. I can beat the computer on easy (way toooo easy) but I can't seem to do it at normal! And I know that if you're not creaming the computer at the hardest level, you're going to get leveled against human players.

Part of the problem I'm having is watching all the possible fronts. It seems that while I'm actively managing one front, the computer is making a simo attack on the other (I'm talking about the skirmish map). The second attack will punch through my defenses and get behind my lines.

Is there some trick to stopping this? Should I be laying a lot more barbed wire and tank traps and mines? I like the tank tech-tree, and I've dabbled with the infantry one. I haven't tried the paratrooper tree yet, and I'm thinking that for this game, that might be the way to go. (get behind the lines and repeatedly harrass/destroy their infrastructure)

I do like building a mass of troops and defending, bu tinfantry don't seem to be able to do that once tanks start rolling up.

Help! Any tips?

(FYI, I'll likely get this game AFTER the next DoW release comes out, gets beat, and I get bored of the online fun.)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Slyde » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:37 am

As for tips on the skirmish map:

I personally think the allied tank tree is the least useful, even moreso on a smaller map like this. If you have trouble managing all the fronts at once, airborne is the way to go. You just drop whatever you need exactly where you need it.

You can't possibly set up impassible defenses everywhere, because there are ways around most choke points, and a round of artillery fire will take out pretty much anything. That means that you need to be able to easily handle threats anywhere in your control. Infantry that can handle most threats are ideal for this role, specifically rangers and airborne infantry with recoilless rifles (more accurate bazookas).

German armor is better, period. Their first tanks are effective against both infantry and other tanks, and have the added bonus of a fixed turret, thus they always keep their front armor facing their targets and dont get any hits on their rear armor due to stupid pathing. Sending your shermans up against them is not cost effective, plus your shermans come out several minutes later. If that werent enough, the way that veterancy works for axis troops means that they will have hardened veterans fighting your newbie shermans. That being said, AT guns do amazing damage against armor, use them.

Engineers with flamethrowers are not to be sneezed at. They are less survivable, but put out more damage than some of the lowest tier infantry.

Sandbags and tank traps are free, use them. A machine gun bunker is a waste of resources when you can lay some sand and put a 30 cal squad behind it. At least they can run away from incoming tanks or artillery.

Only put observation points on resources you really need early on, like fuel and manpower, but even then only if you have the manpower to spare. They cost a good deal and only boost the output rate a little.

Machine guns in buildings are very survivable. If you have a building in a good location, a machine gun inside and an AT gun beside it can fend off quite a bit of punishment.

Ok, thats all for now. Hope some of this helped. As for the profanity in the game, yes I can see how it could be offensive, but there is humor in there too that offsets it some. One of my favorite lines by the germans when taking casualties is: (Panicked voice) Zee Americans, zey are actually aiming!
Slyde

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:50 am

haha. Good stuff. Thanks. I'm actually pretty damn good at RTS's, but for some reason, this one's thrown me for a loop! :p I wasn't aware that sandbags and tanktraps are free. I'll definately use that to block a couple of chokepoints. Thanks!

I was trying, for the longest time, to figure out how to give riflemen recoiless rifles, till I realized they can't get them. :(
VectorAWX3

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:29 am

Thanks for the tips! They worked like a charm. That airborn tech tree is awesome. Multi-purpose squads (rangers) are fantastic, and combined with MG's and AT guns can certainly hold off the enemy. Not to mention the harrassment value of airstrikes. Brutal!

But I think the #1 piece of advice I got was not building caps on the resources. By saving that time and cash, I was able to get actual troops into play to defend the points I had, both giving me more resources and denying the enemy. Nice.

Sadly, (rather fortunately, actually) I found out that Dark Crusade is now in stores. :) You know what I'll be doing tomorrow! :D
VectorAWX3

Return to Off Topic