Game of Throwns

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: Game of Throwns

Postby WickerNipple » Thu May 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh yer all just jealous Flowers dinna give it up for you!
WickerNipple

Possible spoilers

Postby jchrisobrien » Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I didn't see the Renly/Loras thing either, though there are several hints that come up in book 2:

1. Renly is married to Maegery, but has yet to consummate the marriage and produce an heir (which most kings and lords are eager to do).
2. Renly names his order of knight protectors the Rainbow Guard. Heh.

What I disliked most about that scene was Renly was made to look very weak. He was a capable fighter in the book and more of a leader of men. That's what drews Loras and the others to his side.
jchrisobrien

Postby Bauhaus » Fri May 20, 2011 3:46 pm

That's what the Knight of Flowers says "that Renly is the most popular of the lords" - and Renly does more than draw men to his side! (Common - what knight goes by the Knight of Flowers and is popular amonst 14 year old girls! Gay Knights that's who! Who else can wield a mighty shaft better - the Mountain? By the way, I missed what was accused - that the match between the Mountain and the Knight of Flowers was fixed?)

It was certainly implied in the books so I have no problem with it here. Although I did find the "slurping" sounds a bit much (I am watching this with you children who typically I have to kick out of the room at times.) I do feel I was well compinsated for the homo-erotic by the whore-erotic scene!

Also, if you guys haven't gotten that powerful men become less powerful when their dicks are hanging out I merely need to point out to you things going on in California and the IMF. Men don't look that kingly when they're naked!

I also find myself waiting for Sunday nights - although WoW still makes up the time.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby Arash » Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 pm

At first I wasn't very convinced by Varys, but he really grew on me this episode.

I didn't mind the whole Ser Loras thing, it wasn't in the book and wasn't necessary, but in general I don't think it affects the story that much. And I also really like who they choose for Ser Loras. The fight against the Mountain was great.

So far the series has really exceeded my expectations.

After this most of the show should be pretty bloody, I like how they've done the battle scenes too. Something I liked about the book was how the battle scenes closely followed the tunnel vision that I am sure warriors feel. I hope that this is the style in which they shoot the various big fights, otherwise I would agree with larry, war scenes are usually not that great.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby WickerNipple » Sat May 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Well I finally got far enough in the season for my first real disappointment.

*That's* that Hand's Tourney threatening to bankrupt the crown and threaten the capital with lawlessness?!? Ahhhhhhahahahahahhaah Ren Faires are bigger that that. :lol: The melee alone should have had more combatants than they had audience.

They reeaalllly couldn't have afforded one more scene of CGI to make that crowd look... like... fuck screw that, just film it at the local Medieval Times. :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon May 23, 2011 12:08 pm

I've seen the first three episodes. Pretty good so far. The forshadowing is a bit 'hit-you-oevr-the-head' obvious, but that's not really an issue for anyone who read the books of course.

They do a good job of making legal-age actresses look like children. Kinda creepy. Where is Nidal?
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Bauhaus » Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm

I liked last night's episode - it went flashing by!

Andy, I think it's the prizes that would bankrupt the crown... but the lack of an "event" makes me hopeful that next year they'll have more money to spend on fight scenes. I did note from the previews that large contingents of forces will have the benefit of large camps of tents (maybe less of actual actors and knights). Doesn't matter - I can use my imagination. (PS my daughter and I liked the "crowning" followed by the comment - not a true dragon. The dragons can't be burned by fire.)

Cool!
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby Larro » Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 pm

The foreshadowing in probably needed when you're dealing with the "average" audience. It's a complicated story with many characters, so they have to do what they can to reign in the average person.

That, and budget issues.

Overall a great show, and I think this episode was definitely one of the best of the first 6, if not the best.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Arash » Wed May 25, 2011 9:55 am

The crowning was well done, I like how the show is starting to evolve.

I am really sad that Robert is going to die soon, what a great actor.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed May 25, 2011 10:18 am

Stop giving shit away Arash. Such a furry asshole.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic