Go see Avatar in IMAX 3d

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Go see Avatar in IMAX 3d

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Since nobody posted about this yet, let me tell you it's a must see. It's one of the best looking movies I've ever seen. I went to IMAX 3d on 42nd and if ever you inconvenience yourself for a movie, this would be the one.

Nothing beyond the movie's aesthetic is mind blowingly unique or outstanding, it's just solid through and through. The plot is familiar, and sees Cameron reversing roles with the humans being the "alien threat". The acting is very good, and most importantly the CGI personalities are full fledged, both emotive and endearing. The locals borrow heavily from Native Americans, which is fine, and takes their connection to nature to well beyond the next level. The marines/corporate paramilitary comes off as genuine in both mannerisms and motivation -- in a way Cameron seems uniquely get -- with particular kudos going to the "evil" Colonal who is so singularly driven and badass that his villainy is near-admirably perverse. Also, there's about a half dozen nods to Aliens be it tech (check out those mech scanners) or lines or personas (Parker aka Carter Burke) which is sweet for any fanboys. Some of the dialogue is kitsch, but well delivered and buried by the rest.

Essentially, with this solid core Cameron springboards to new heights of visual candy, creating a totally immersive world from absolutely nothing, and borrowing heavily from good sources to make everything either comfortingly familiar or fantastically alien. I don't think I blinked for the first half hour.

Go see it.

This is Jarrett of the Warmongers signing off.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Re: Go see Avatar in IMAX 3d

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Signing on.

And the blue bitch is damn sexy for a 10-foot-tall CGI cat-alien.

Signing off again.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Daggermouth » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:38 am

The movie was visually stunning through and through. This alone makes the movie worth seeing. However, in my opinion, the dialogue left me slapping my forehead at times and the plot line was incredibly transparent and predictable. Plot line - see Fern Gully. Don't expect to be "moved", but it's definetly a movie that should be seen in the theater.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby subversive » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:01 pm

I think we have to keep in mind that if most of us weren't between the ages of 3 and 10 when we first saw Star Wars, we'd have had the same reaction to the story and dialogue there. If Cameron has pulled off truly new heights of immersive experience that influences the next generation of sci fi, (and assuming he wasn't there already for Aliens and Terminator) then he's solidly in the pantheon of sci-fi gods.
subversive

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Well that was a very pretty version of fern gully. Impressive for now, but in 10 years it'll just be a boring plot with outdated graphics. bleh.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:59 am

Breaking new ground plotwise? No. Boring? I don't see it. The script was totally adequate. Maybe it's just me but I wasn't expecting stunning writing. There's a reason I love There Will Be Blood and there's a reason I love Saving Private Ryan, and they aren't the same.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Amazonwarlord » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Yeah, seems to me the plot is nothing new, after all, there is very little that IS actually new (I still think District 9 was a refreshing exception to this). I have not yet seen it but I am looking forward to the movie's immersive quality.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby WickerNipple » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Jarrett - it definitely was exciting at times. I just mean when the graphics are old and faded, there won't be *anything* left of interest about the movie. I don't regret seeing it or anything, I just see it as a waste of potential.
WickerNipple

Postby Pariah » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:07 pm

I saw it in 3D and kind of wish I saw it in 2D. The 3D just doesn't let you soak up a lot of the visuals because you're too busy having your eyes tricked. I kind of just wanted to stare at some of the shots forever. Visually the movie truly is breathtaking.

In terms of staying power, I still look back at movies like the Abyss or Terminator 2 and enjoy the computer animation. They were well done enough back then that they hold up decently enough. Kind of like looking at cave paintings and thinking "Wow look what they did with fire and a spear...". Even the original Tron still looks good today and your cellphone is several hundred, if not thousands of times more powerful than the computers used to make that movie.

In terms of plot... um... yeah it had potential, but completely fails in the end. Dances with Wolves meets Aliens meets Gorillas in the Mist.
Pariah

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Dances with Wolves meets Aliens meets Gorillas in the Mist.

I liked all of those ! :lol:

I actually expect the plot to be along the lines if a Miyazaki flick. (See Princess Mononoke, or Nausicaa for example).
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Next

Return to Off Topic