Go see Avatar in IMAX 3d

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: Go see Avatar in IMAX 3d

Postby Pariah » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Avatar completely lacks the subtlety of Miyazaki... If you go in expecting that, you will be sadly disappointed... If you go in expecting Dances with Wolves meets Aliens meets Gorillas in the Mist, and you like that combo, you will leave happy...
Pariah

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 pm

LOL, fair enough.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Jeramakus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Saw it in 3D. Liked it a bunch.
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby Amazonwarlord » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Avatar completely lacks the subtlety of Miyazaki... If you go in expecting that, you will be sadly disappointed...

Interestingly and happily, if found this to be very untrue. And the sense of wonder in the beauty of the natural world if found surprising. I think Cameron succeeded in telling an old tale very well. The world he created is very awesome and directly lifted off of the depths of our own oceans, very nice indeed.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby warmongerclub » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:53 pm

Saw this in 3-d this afternoon. Got there a bit later than I hoped and had to settle for askew seating which really sucks with 3-d. Even so, a pretty super visual experience. As for the cliched military stuff and predictable story line, sure there was an eye-roller or two, but they did not ruin the "moment" for me. Immersive is definitely the word for it Jarrett. Overall, I thought it was a solid, thoroughly entertaining piece of eye candy. How much staying power it will have as an iconic sci fi film I can't say, but I was pretty impressed today. :lol:

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby mattbird » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:36 am

the effects are 3d were awesome. The plot, a bit, but much moreso the actual good writing and lack of any character arc.. for anyone.. was really surprising. Cameron has written some great stuff before, but the dialog and characters in this, compared to Aliens, etc., were really just bleh. Not "George Lucas" horrible, just dull.

Basically, it was a cool movie to see in the theatres, but I have no desire to see it again, especially in 2d at home.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

And... I JUST saw this (half a snow day... took advanage). I thought the 3-d was distracting. Sure, it was cool, but there were too many scenes with so much going on that my eyes just didn't compute and saw more blur than cool. I was sitting a bit of center, which I'm sure didn't help, and the 3-d glasses got a bit smudged with popcorn juice and wouldn't quite clean up. Bleh. I actually think it would have been better in 2-d. That said, I think 3-d saved Beowulf. but the 3-d in that was much simplete: Big dragon in open sky coming towards you, rather than alien birds going back and forth, in and out of vines, while leaves fall in all directions and bullets are flying. ARRGGHH!!! Too much to process.

Plot... bleh. You've all said it. Predictable, old storyline. Solid, but nothing to write hom about. I WAS super-impressed with the CGI of human movement, speech, skin/hair, etc. In several scenes, I'd swear they used real video and faked us out by telling us it ws CGI. It has NEVER been that good. And the human vehicles were fantastic.

I thought they could have made the aliens more "alien". I mean, yeah, you had to make the blue folks humanoid and all, but horses? Dragons? Come on... give me something a BIT more sci-fi.

So it was good, and I'm glad I went to see it, but From Paris With Love was lots more fun (and much stupider).
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 am

2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Previous

Return to Off Topic