WFB 500 Tournament Series

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: WFB 500 Tournament Series

Postby KevinC » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 pm

I guess I'm wondering in what way being able to duplicate core choices actually enhances the small format?

---------I'm more concerned with people being able to play with units they like, or how they want to theme their army, rather than placing restrictions to stop one or two broken forces.

Maybe, the probably is calling this a tournament? Because that's not the point of this in my view. This is about getting a group of people together in order to play several games of Warhammer in a single day in a interesting/different format.

Or perhaps this is a good format to use a comp or army theme system.

Or perhaps a good restriction could be 0-1 Skirmish unit.
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 pm

It was just an example. I just think 0-1 makes the format more interesting. If you think "theme" will be affected then by all means. I was wondering what your reasoning was (theme didn't cross my mind!).

And if its about theme why is my theme of jungle skirmishing poison stupid? Seems fluffy...'

I just want to be clear that the intention of my post is to make for a more fun event with more variety in the armies selected. Especially since there will be only four of us.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby boredoom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:18 am

So would the percentage limits and the 25% core requirement still be in effect?
boredoom

Postby allanmcnab » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 am

whats the date, I should be able to come to NY for at least one game thing this year
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am

boredoom wrote:So would the percentage limits and the 25% core requirement still be in effect?

:roll:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby KevinC » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:18 am

Jarrett, I do think the skink army is fluffy, but I see where that can cause for an un-fun game.
I think 0-1 Skirmish units might work.

Yes the percentage caps would be in effect including min 25% core.

I intend to talk to the CS this week about reserving this event for a Saturday in Oct.

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

KevinC

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm

So armies that have a strong skirmish core are punished? What about wood elves? You'd rather they take more archers than dryads? If so, why?

Why is a skirmish army unfun compared to 2+ armor save cavalry with wards? Why no shooting cap? Skinks are capped but not 40x 24" -1 armor repeater shots and a hydra?

I keep posting about this because you seem to be ignoring the simple solution I suggested, and now because I posted a Lizardmen army that you don't like the look of you're specifically targeting that build with a skirmish cap. You're probably better off leaving things totally uncomped and seeing what people show up with. I think 0-1 would prevent people from duplicating options some folks consider "unfun", and get more variety on the tables. If not I say let people take what they like and don't start hitting specific things you consider unfun.

I'll likely show up no matter what you decide because I think it will be good times. Also, I don't plan on taking lizards. Just some friendly feedback! :D
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Also, having a unit size cap but no shooting restriction distinctly benefits shooting. Units can't increase size beyond shooters ability to eliminate them.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Toe Collector » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Sounds cool. Would we play on a 4 x 3 table?
Luke G.
Toe Collector

Postby KevinC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 am

So armies that have a strong skirmish core are punished? What about wood elves? You'd rather they take more archers than dryads? If so, why?

Why is a skirmish army unfun compared to 2+ armor save cavalry with wards? Why no shooting cap? Skinks are capped but not 40x 24" -1 armor repeater shots and a hydra?

-----------I don't think there is an issue with skirmishers...I was trying to appease you. While I know that Skink list would be an absolute horror should in 7th edition, I personnally don't think it's that bad in 8th. I thought you posted that to show an abusive list. And while I can see how that list could be annoying, its not OTT. With march blocking all but gone and the average charge range being 11", it's not such a big deal.

You must remember, I'm not one who normally supports restrictions in general. I find that most restrictions are designed to stop one particular element or army combo, but ultimately ends up simply limiting player's choices for no good reason. I'd rather simply limit or ban the exact combo that is too much rather than place an overall restriction. For example, let's say the Skink list you made is broken. Rather that limit Core to 0-1, I'd rather simply limit Skinks.

I should also note, that I am not trying to find some perfect formula to absolute balance. I believe the only way you could possibly achieve that is by re-writing the entire rules set, and even then that would be difficult. We are talking about a game where one spell can win you the game after all.

I'm thinking of judging comp or theme for this. The aim is, I want people to bring an army they like and not being 110% optimized to make the most abusive/power army. I may even be setting this up and calling it a one day campaign and have a narrative element going on, rather than calling it a tournament.

KevinC

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy