New player with some questions

Moderator: Anger Worm

New player with some questions

Postby -Rogue Scout » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:30 am

So I have bought the rulebook and read it through about three times and I think I have a basic understanding of the rules that will increase when I actually get to play the game. I am thinking of going with a Dark Elf army as I like their look and history.

Now, the local players tell me that the Druchii suck and that I'll never win a game with them since their rules are so outdated. Is this true? Are the DE competetive to at least provide for an entertaining afternoon for both players? I am not overly concerned with winning but I do want to give a good account of myself.

Thanks
-Rogue Scout

Re: New player with some questions

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:52 am

Well, the short answer is that "local players" would be wrong. DE can be built any of several ways which are effective. They are actually quite a versatile army.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Arash » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:57 am

well the catch-all response to most elven armies is that they are hard to play with until you have learned to play the game. Just because the things that they are good at, like movement and magic, take a while to get used to and really require a good general.

Also, yeah while the dark elf army is fine it certainly isn't the most powerful army out there. You can make some very good lists with it, but list building takes time as well.

So, you will probably have some trouble with the army until you really get to know how the different units work. I think even Nidal had/has (haven't been in for a while) trouble with his army. But once you get a good thing going, then they can be pretty effective.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:02 am

Trouble with my army? Not any more than with the orcs at the begining. And my HE army is a very odd army which is NOT an ordinary list, which make it troublesome to use in certain situations and has loads of weaknesses. The DE list I came up with (the Cult variant) is rock solid and can beat any army on any given Thursday. Rob's DE, which are a completely different DE variant are solid. Larry's DE, which are closer to my cult list, but still standard DE are great. And 90% of that is the player behind the army, like any good list should be.

I think the catch-all about Elves being hard to play is a crock. When everyone starts to hear it, they start to believe it, so nobody picks the army up. Yet, when good players pick it up, they do just fine.

I don't think anyone should be talking about how important list-building is. Good players win regarless of the efficiency of the list. I'd rather be a good player than play with a good list.

Are DE the most powerful army? I think any army which people would say is the "most powerful" is not worth playing. Where's the challenge? Where's the fun? What IS the most-powerful army? Show me the "most-powerful" army, and I'll show you people beating the crap out of it.

Seriously, is there any army with greater than a 60% win percentage in tourney play? Doubt it. And if you look at the last several GT's, all sorts of armies climb their way to the top
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:33 pm

DE suck. You'll never win a game with them unless you track down inferior players.

Which has been my formula for success for years.
mauleed

Postby subversive » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:26 pm

All elven armies are somewhat unforgiving. They are elite armies, which means that you don't have many models. On top of that, they are frail, so your few troops die very easily, and you don't have weight of numbers to compensate.

Where DEs do shine is speed, maneuverability, shooting and magic. As was said above, learning how to properly move in WHFB is probably the most difficult thing to master, so you're picking an army with a strength that won't be readily apparent until you've got a few dozen games under your belt (maybe fewer if you're a quick learner).

If you're looking for a fun afternoon's game, and not looking to quickly jump into competition, DEs will be fine.
subversive

Postby slann » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 pm

If you like the fluff and want to paint DE thats what you should go with , when you are ready enough to play in tournys than you should be ready enough too wield most armies anyway .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby Ring87 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:41 pm

While list building is not the most important aspect to the hobby it is important.

First, decide what your goals are. If you have limited funds you want to research any army in detail before you make your purchases. This is not a cheap hobby!

2. Think about what type of army you want to field. Elite, Hoard or a traditional mix. The type of army you want to field will help you decide which army to choose. If I am not wrong Dark Elf warrior a pretty cheap points wise (7or8pts). A hoard army is about 150 models. A hoard army will take much longer to paint and will be harder to carry around.

3. Think about what phases you want to dominate or just be active in. I believe Dark Elves can be effective in any phase but are really good in the movement and shooting phases. Str 6 attacks are hard to come by so you want to be attacking with multiple units at once. The magic is ok. Also, the army is perceived to be weak so a dragon is a viable option as well.

A Cult of Slanash army is a different story and might only be tourny leagal for a limited time. CoS is a hard army. Most DE models are very nice which helps as you will need to convert less.

Oh yeah don't waste your time on those Evil Druchi scum. Come live under the canopy a in harmony with nature. Play wood elves, we kick ass.........:p

Check here for more:
www.druchii.net/